MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Tutorial + Tips Upgrade MyBB 1.6 Beta for Newbie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have copying database into separated forum, and upgrading to 1.5.0.2 (1.6 Beta 2). Now I have 2 big forum, and let the users try on live (separated) forum. Upgrading took around 5 minutes with 1.3 million posts (PHP Memory Limit 128MB).

I give you some tips for smooth upgrade, and you can playing and start modifying your compatible plug-ins and revert/edit custom templates (if necessary). This tips may not for expert MyBB user. I wrote it for Newbie Wink

Backing up and prepared files
1. Make sure you have backup file before by using Root Dump, PhpMyadmin, Mysqldumper, or built-in MyBB Backup Database utility.
2. Login your Cpanel/DirectAdmin/Plesk panel, create new database + new user (if necessary)
3. Go to PhpMyadmin and copying your old (live forum) database into new separated database.
- It takes around 15-30 minutes for my 1.5 GB data
4. Now, create new directory from your site. For example /beta/
5. From File Manager (CPanel/DirectAdmin/Plesk) copy whole old forum file into new /beta/ directory.
6. Edit /beta/inc/config.php for new copied database above (be careful). See step number 2
7. Edit and check /beta/inc/settings.php and change:
- $settings['bburl'] = yourforum.com/beta
- $settings['cookiedomain'] = .yourforum.com
- $settings['cookiepath'] = /beta/
- $settings['homeurl'] = /beta/index.php OR /beta/forum.php

8. Now, you have 2 live identical forums. Clear all cookies before access your second duplicated forum
9. Make sure your duplicated forum running well by make a post/thread tests etc..
10. Login your Admin panel. Disable/Uninstall all installed plugins one by one, & make sure forum run
11. Revert all template, if you modified Default MYBB. Ignore this if you create your own templates.
- Simply Just make and set Default original templates as your default user templates.
12. I am afraid if you forget which core files has been modified. So, I suggest you upload and replace all /beta/files from Fresh MyBB 1.4.13 files except config.php and settings.php
13. Make sure you have checked forum running. And your "virgin" duplicated forum Ready to Upgrade..

Upgrading Forum
[attachment=18916]
a. Prepare and Download MyBB 1.6 Beta
b. Upload and replace whole files on /beta/ with MyBB 1.6 except config.php and settings.php
c. Upgrade by access www.yourforum.com/beta/install/install.php
d. It takes only 5 minutes for 1.3 million posts (depend on your server)
e. Done!...
You have Beta Forum on separated directory. Try it by give access to public and help MyBB to test it on live forum.
f. Now go to Admin Panel, and you can see what plugins files which is incompatible with 1.6 beta. Try and test your old plugins.

Enjoy Cool

go this thread for Lists of IN-Compatible Plugins for MyBB 1.6 Beta