MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: If I update to the latest mybb.. is it likely to break anything (like bridges?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a bridge to coppermine, and another to AJAX Chat.. is it likely they would be ok?

I have been on 1.4.8 for aaaages, but a new theme I installed seems quite buggy.. I guessed that maybe it wants the new version?

Is updating quite painless, even when there is a significant jump like this?

Sorry, I have NEVER done this before so it's a bit confusing/daunting - it's a busy forum too!!

Thanks a lot guys,

El
No it isn't that hard to update. Usually just an upload of changed files and then run the upgrade script (if necessary).

Your lucky your forum hasn't been hacked on 1.4.8 though there have been many security updates since then.

If you want some help just let me know via PM Smile
hehe yeah I heard about them but I was like "oh I'm sure I'll be fiiiine!"

and thank god.. I was! lol Smile
and ok I'll give it a go using the normal tutorial, I'm glad I don't need to do all the updates in between from 1.4.8 to 1.4.13! I was concerned about that!
I know you probably have heard this before and know but you should really keep track on updating updates as usually the updates are for patching exploits and security risks.
(2010-07-17, 01:39 PM)elwave Wrote: [ -> ]and ok I'll give it a go using the normal tutorial, I'm glad I don't need to do all the updates in between from 1.4.8 to 1.4.13! I was concerned about that!

Ah sorry didn't make that quite clear. Usually it's better to upgrade one version at a time. Otherwise you'll have to download a whole new fresh copy of files upload them then run all the upgrade scripts.
Ah... is there a higher chance of losing settings and things if I do it all at once then? Because our forum is quite heavily modded (just in templates and stuff) and has a fair few plugins! lol Smile
Plugins and templates won't be affected when you upgrade from one 1.4.x version to another 1.4.x. The only thing you got to worry about is core edits.
ah cool, no there were no core edits Smile

Also, the theme I installed that was designed for 1.4.13, it won't be negatively affected by all this updating in the background will it? I would guess not, but I'm just curious!

And the bridges should be ok do you think? Smile
Only way to find out is to try Smile
You can always reinstall them if the worst comes to the worst Toungue
hehe yeah cool man Smile

So it's best to do it incrementally you think? I will do that if it's the wiser option! I don't want to spoil anything Smile
Pages: 1 2