MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The stars totally make no sense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The stars totally make no sense, to me at least.

You would think that the stars that show up under the posters avatar/title would be based on that users post count.

Almost everyone things it'd be based on that, but for some goofy reason in MyBB it's just based on usergroup and if the group icon is blank by default.

But with that in mind, There is this setting which makes this entire thing get even more confusing:

"This section allows management of user titles. User titles are assigned to users based on the number of posts they make and also allow a custom 'Star' image to be shown based on the number of posts the user has."

But where do these "stars" show? i can't find find them anywhere. They don't display under the user title because that's the default stars based on usergroup. Which makes me wonder why we even have the ability to put a certain amount of stars per post count, if it doesn't even actually work?

I am so lost and confused by this. Am i just misunderstanding? or what?
They only come into effect if you have not set a custom amount of stars and there is not a default user title set.
(2010-07-20, 08:36 AM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]They only come into effect if you have not set a custom amount of stars and there is not a default user title set.

Then what is the point of the setting that displays X amount of stars per X amount of posts?
Post Ranks Smile
You just get more stars the more you post, quite simple really.
(2010-07-20, 09:48 PM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]Post Ranks Smile
You just get more stars the more you post, quite simple really.

Yeah i understand that they do, the problem is, how do you make them show on the forum? or where do they even show on the forum?

By default, the stars under the name are for the default user group image, but how do you get it to show the stars for post count instead?
hello??!
The group ranks do not affect the stars (for example my support team badge). Post stars only come into effect if you have not set a default user title in the group settings. Custom user titles do not affect this.

Otherwise it will display a specific number also specified in the group settings. (Again an example is that my specific number of stars is set to zero and I have a default user title set hence why no stars show.)
(2010-07-20, 11:10 PM)The Grinch Wrote: [ -> ]By default, the stars under the name are for the default user group image, but how do you get it to show the stars for post count instead?

They're the same thing.

To get them to show by post count you need to setup user titles in the ACP and assign a number of stars to each user title.

On my forum, I have the same user title repeated numerous times but with a different post count and different number of stars assigned.
(2010-07-22, 08:54 AM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-20, 11:10 PM)The Grinch Wrote: [ -> ]By default, the stars under the name are for the default user group image, but how do you get it to show the stars for post count instead?

They're the same thing.

To get them to show by post count you need to setup user titles in the ACP and assign a number of stars to each user title.

On my forum, I have the same user title repeated numerous times but with a different post count and different number of stars assigned.

thanks much for your reply.

I think i got it. Seems buggy, and there is little to no info about this anywhere.

I went into the group settings in the admin cp, put the "User Stars" on zero, but noticed the stars still werent showing in posts based on count, even though they were set up in the user titles. So i went into the user titles, and saved it, and that seemed to force it to work.

So i think its working good now. Thanks again buddy.