MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Duplicate Posts - How To Mass Remove?/Merging Threads - Possible Simplify It?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Duplicate Posts - How To Mass Remove?
When I set up my forum, I based it off an old backup by using the merge tool to merge the backup into a vanilla installation. A week later I realised that I had used a very old backup and then went about finding the newest backup avalible. I did that (after asking here) and merged the backup into the forum. The problem is, when I move threads and merge them, there are many (thousands) of duplicate posts (see here).

Is there any simple way to delete them without going through 100 pages of posts?

Merging Threads - Possible Simplify It?
Just a very quick question, is there any way to make merging threads a simpler process? Something like ticking two threads and selecting merge in the dropdown menu?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me Smile
Easiest way would be to just delete the whole installation and reinstall by using the newest backup. I really can't think of another.
That's not really an option as it would mean losing my entire community.
Oh, I thought you just installed it. Well, yeah then, it isn't an option. I honestly don't know what you could do. Maybe someone from support can help.
For the first one you could try this: http://www.mybbcodes.com/showthread.php?tid=359
But other than that I don't know of another way apart from going through each post.

For the second question you can use a custom thread tool to do that for you. We have one set-up here that does that.
(2010-07-21, 10:35 AM)Polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]For the first one you could try this: http://www.mybbcodes.com/showthread.php?tid=359
But other than that I don't know of another way apart from going through each post.

For the second question you can use a custom thread tool to do that for you. We have one set-up here that does that.

How does that work?
That's the only plugin which I found while searching which fit your requirements. I've never tried it but it seems to be the only solution currently available. Probably just download it and upload it to your forum. Then run the plugin.

EDIT: Ah it seems you must be a subscriber to download that one. So unless you want to pay for that then it seems your only solution is to delete the posts one by one. Or you could just make a new forum from your newest backup then delete the old one.
I guess I'll have to pay the $5 :|
MyBB's system is very good at preventing conflicts in ID's. As you've merged posts into threads it creates a brand new id for it. If that wasn't the case then we could just run a sql query to get rid of them but it seems it's going to be more complicated than that. The quickest solution is to re-do the forum from a backup but if that isn't possible then deleting the posts is the only solution. (Other than that paid plugin).
Our "Duplicate Posts Eraser" plugin is only working with new posts before they are saved, checking if any other similar posts exists. It is not retroactively verifying the database table for any duplicate posts which would be a more intense process.

I can create a new plugin doing exactly what you need and cleaningup all duplicate posts from your own criteria as "same member", "same forum", etc...

But you will have to wait a week or two for its development.

Just contact me if you are interested.

Wink