MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrading
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When upgrading to a newer mybb version is it only the default theme templates that will be affected ?

For example if we're using a custom theme and the index header etc.. has been altered, will that themes templates/css style sheets be reverted to default ( I doubt it) be was just wondering.
/Moved.

It only reverts the templates it needs to revert back to default. For example the change in the most recent version that required an upgrader (1.4.12) only reverted the template where you pressed the forum subscribe button (there was a security update to that). Generally upgrade scripts to not affect things such as the header and footer as there aren't many technical parts to those templates.

If it does modify the template though then obviously you can just make those templates back to normal once again Smile. Also it does not affect your CSS it is just the templates.
Thanks for clearing that up polarbear Smile
No problem Smile
Always happy to help.
It will never revert any template edits you make. It only ever reimports the templates with an sid of -2 which is the master copy. If you have an edited copy, that'll have a different sid, so the forum will still show your edited version and the new master is updated in the background, and if you've not edited it, it updates the master and that's what'll show on the forum.

This is why there's often problems with people having to manually revert templates to default, the theme they're using has an edited version, whether it came with that or it was edited by them or a plugin, so the upgrade script doesn't change the version of it the forum will be using, only the master, so you have to manually revert it to default. Some themes come with an edited version of the showthread_moderationoptions template, so when this was updated, because they had an edited version, the upgrade script updated the master but the forum would still use the edited version, which is outdated and doesn't work. This is also why some people still have the old copyright notice in the footer template saying it's illegal to remove it; the upgrade script has updated the master copy, that's sitting in the database not being used, but because they've edited the template, that version's being shown, and still contains the old message.

Make sense?? I realise I've rambled a bit Toungue
(2010-07-22, 05:09 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]It will never revert any template edits you make. It only ever reimports the templates with an sid of -2 which is the master copy. If you have an edited copy, that'll have a different sid, so the forum will still show your edited version and the new master is updated in the background, and if you've not edited it, it updates the master and that's what'll show on the forum.

This is why there's often problems with people having to manually revert templates to default, the theme they're using has an edited version, whether it came with that or it was edited by them or a plugin, so the upgrade script doesn't change the version of it the forum will be using, only the master, so you have to manually revert it to default. Some themes come with an edited version of the showthread_moderationoptions template, so when this was updated, because they had an edited version, the upgrade script updated the master but the forum would still use the edited version, which is outdated and doesn't work. This is also why some people still have the old copyright notice in the footer template saying it's illegal to remove it; the upgrade script has updated the master copy, that's sitting in the database not being used, but because they've edited the template, that version's being shown, and still contains the old message.

Make sense?? I realise I've rambled a bit Toungue

Well I had a go at explaining, mostly got it right xD
Listen to him Toungue
Yea that clears it up thanks both Big Grin