MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Dual or Quad?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, building a new PC, Intel Mobo Socket 1156. Im thinking of an i5 Processor but dont know whether to go for:

Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor (Quad Core)

OR

Intel Core i5 650 3.20GHz Socket 1156 4MB L3 cache retail Box Processor (Dual Core)

Any ideas? Ill be using it for lite/moderate gaming and £150 is about my budget Smile
quad, overclock it
my suggestion
Why quad? Why not just overclock the Dual? Any Specific reasons? Smile
I personally would go for the Quad just because of the doubled cache size, which equates to much higher performance. But maybe that many cores is more than you need too Wink
I would buy the 650: It has a newer microarchitecture (32 mn) so it consumes less energy. But don't take the old C2 stepping, try to get the new K0 stepping (SLBTJ)! Also HT is enabled so you have 2 'virtual' cores extra.
(2010-07-23, 09:30 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]I personally would go for the Quad just because of the doubled cache size, which equates to much higher performance. But maybe that many cores is more than you need too Wink

That's what I was thinking Toungue.
(2010-07-23, 11:14 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-23, 09:30 PM)ralgith Wrote: [ -> ]I personally would go for the Quad just because of the doubled cache size, which equates to much higher performance. But maybe that many cores is more than you need too Wink

That's what I was thinking Toungue.

Great minds? Wink
The entire Core i5 6XX series is pointless. Get a Core i3-530, it overclocks like a mad man.
(2010-07-23, 11:27 PM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]The entire Core i5 6XX series is pointless. Get a Core i3-530, it overclocks like a mad man.

Also a good point. The i5 650 and i3-550 are (mostly) the same processors!

Take a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Int...processors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Int...processors
(2010-07-23, 09:19 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]Why quad? Why not just overclock the Dual? Any Specific reasons? Smile

Then you have 4 cores running at say 3.3GHz as opposed to 2 cores running at 3.9GHz.
Pages: 1 2