MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mybb footer link removal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
No you cant remove these links , in most cases anyway.
(2010-07-27, 12:02 PM)Asmar Wrote: [ -> ]One more question, the themes we get here also comes with a footer link like for example "Theme Designed By Rhydian, Coded By Svizy. " and so.

Is this also allowed to remove these links ?

This has nothing to do with MyBB itself. You should ask the theme author.
We're still looking into branding free options (or workarounds to it). Currently waiting on the FSF to respond to our inquiry.
well i think it should always have links on our boards, it helps increase awareness of mybb and keep MyBB alive. Just think how many people that are part of these forums that found MyBB by other forums?
Why would you want to remove the Mybb group copyright, By doing so you are just throwing all the work they have done back in their face. I am sure if you spent days,months,years making a forum board you would want people to leave your copyright there as it will increase awareness of your board.

My 2 cents.
(2010-07-30, 09:39 AM)ryansstuff Wrote: [ -> ]well i think it should always have links on our boards, it helps increase awareness of mybb and keep MyBB alive. Just think how many people that are part of these forums that found MyBB by other forums?

Mybb is free open source software now, and that is the way I like it. I keep the mybb link on my site, but if someone doesn't, don't try and force them to or say that is how it should be. Your taking away that freedom they have with the license of the board. Wink I would go further on this thought, but I think I have said enough.
Why would you want to remove copyright, anyway? In my opinion, removing it only tells me that you yourself made the entire script and had no help whatsoever. Keeping it there tells me that hey, MyBB Group must be a crackerjack set of guys with advanced knowledge of programming and made such an awesome forum script. (That's an example.)

As I agree with the freedom to remove it with the expense of official MyBB support (good idea), I still say it's not a smart thing to do. Do you see people removing vBulletin or phpBB's copyright notice in the footer? Not that I see. Some even add their own copyright in with the official one.

That's what I think, at least. Smile
Some businesses would like to have it debranded and it makes sense too, An option to pay for removal, to me...makes sense.
I mostly see larger-sized and more professional forums remove it. And if you do have a larger forum, you usually know your way around MyBB and don't need support anyway.

You can change it a little, just make it visible somewhere. I always change mine to say "Proudly Powered by MyBB". Toungue
hmmm might change mine to say something like that aswell. Look i know it is bad people taking it off but if you are a small forum and take it off then not getting support your own fault, I agree that it should stay. And yes larger forums that take it off will have people that know how to work it.
Pages: 1 2 3