MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Support Suite Software.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I’ll start off by saying that I was previously making support software coded in PHP, but it was never finished. I have improved on my PHP and am remaking the whole thing, so I was interested to see if the community has any information to make this software better.

1a. Commercial

- Should it be source viewable?

b. Open source
- What license should I run under (eg: GNU etc.)

c. Free under EULA.
- Why should it be Free under EULA?

2. What would you consider day-to-day features?

3. What would you consider every so often features?

4. Do you hate bloated software and why?

5. What would you consider bloated features?

6. As this is a support suite; should it be a ticket system with an optional live support extension?

Thank you all for the people that take part in helping me plan out my software.
(2010-07-27, 12:43 PM)ChrisR Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I’ll start off by saying that I was previously making support software coded in PHP, but it was never finished. I have improved on my PHP and am remaking the whole thing, so I was interested to see if the community has any information to make this software better.

1a. Commercial

- Should it be source viewable?

Just leads to piracy. Unless you plan to host it all though, you don't have much choice in that matter,

b. Open source
- What license should I run under (eg: GNU etc.)

GPL 2, or 3 (I don't really like 3) Or BSD. When it comes to open source, there isn't much difference for smaller products.

c. Free under EULA.
- Why should it be Free under EULA?

Free gets attention if you ever release a premium version.

2. What would you consider day-to-day features?

Time tracking how long support takes, resources used, mobile access via blackberry. Ticketing, and reporting. (Reports on who did the most support, who needed the most etc)

3. What would you consider every so often features?

Live chat. Though i'd never put that to use...

4. Do you hate bloated software and why?

If its the best in the business and cannot be beaten, i wouldn't mind building a server just for it at work.

5. What would you consider bloated features?

Live chat, text message (Not email text) when sent. I don't know really, just useless stuff Toungue

6. As this is a support suite; should it be a ticket system with an optional live support extension?

Yes. Live support can be a hassle for small organizations, but ticketing works very well.

Thank you all for the people that take part in helping me plan out my software.

Your welcome Toungue
Thank you Mark.M Smile
In terms of Open Source licensing my favourite would be the Simplified BSD licence. Very easy to understand. You can redistribute, modify and use the software if you keep the copyright. And that's it Toungue

Also I would recommend you look at Kayako.net which is IMO the best support software out there at the min.
Thank you for your input.

So this is how i am thinking of having it set out. Will be open source (license still working that out)

you can download the base system that is a ticket system and there will be an optional addon for live support.
Consider the Simplified BSD license instead of the GPL. It's overall better for everyone.

EDIT: Beaten by Polar.
(2010-07-28, 09:14 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]Consider the Simplified BSD license instead of the GPL. It's overall better for everyone.

EDIT: Beaten by Polar.

Nah don't worry it's nice to know that other people share my thoughts Toungue