MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Registration Requirements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not sure if I'm in the right section for this question or not but I did a search and I didn't find exactly what I was looking for; so here is my question.

My question is relating to Forum Registration. My forum is going to be of a generalised nature with some techy sub forums included - Whilst my content is not going to be of an adult nature, I still feel that I don't want the responsibility of having children permitted to utilise the forum itself. So, basically I'm denying anyone under 13 as per COPPA policy.

I'm just wondering should I also have some sort of agreement in place that the user must tick to ensure that they are 18+ ? From a legal and obviously member safety point of view is there something else I need to incorporate into my Registration agreement/form? Any advice and tips I should know prior to unleashing this Forum to the masses? All thoughts are welcome Blush

Many thanks,
Hazel
Just make sure you say in your terms of registration that users MUST be over 18 and by clicking "accept" they confirm this. Then responsibility is not on you Smile
The only problem with stating the minimum age requirement, is that people can pretend to be 18+. There's no real way to determine if the user really is under 18 or over 18.
Doesn't really matter. From a legal point of view there is nothing else you can do. You can take fake ID to a night club and get in, if it's a good one they have no way of knowing. Therefore responsibility lies on you for taking fake ID Smile
Great stuff guys, thanks for your feedback Smile

I guess I just want to be clued up on things before I dive into the abyss! Thanks, I'll get writing my agreement now Smile

Any other tips or what to watch out for would be greatly appreciated too!

Hazel
I simply point out that it's going to contain maybe some language and graphics not suitable for users under 18, and that they're responsible for wat they're allowed to see

just say it's not intended for users under 18 and if they still register it's their fault and they can't sue you
I would like to confess something. I have never ever read a TOS or the big message before registering on any website this includes even mybb website.
So if i do not do it, do not count that someone else will. So like people told you, there isn't a way to do this
Make them have to pay 3 dollars via a credit card. (not paypal)

Its still bypassable, but its better then nothing
(2010-07-29, 08:34 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]I would like to confess something. I have never ever read a TOS or the big message before registering on any website this includes even mybb website.
So if i do not do it, do not count that someone else will. So like people told you, there isn't a way to do this
But from a legal point of view it is the end user that is to blame. You aggree that you have read the TOS, even if you haven't. Your case for suing would never stand up in any court Smile
I don't want to sue, nor will i be sued(hopefully). I was simply saying that even if he were to add it to the TOS no one will probably read and fake their age Wink
Pages: 1 2