MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Privacy Issue] Erasing online traces
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
May peace be upon you,
I need the cooperation of everyone concerning this issue.

One of my members got his MyBB forum hacked and asked me to delete his account on my forum as he wants to break all links to MyBB.

I deleted his account on the basis of respecting his privacy.

He is also asking to delete all his posts. I'm i obliged to do this?
What if i change the posts username to 'guest'. Would he be still the owner of his posts?

I'm i allowed to refuse to this request legally?

Best regards
Nayar
He can Request it but whether or not you do it, is up to you.

Technically, unless it's written in a legal document on your website, he can't come after you if you don't.
How many posts did he have? I would just not delete them at all, or you break the entire flow of a lot of threads.
(2010-07-29, 04:35 PM)Lyndon D. Wrote: [ -> ]Technically, unless it's written in a legal document on your website, he can't come after you if you don't.

What would such document contain? I am still 18 and know nothing about law.
(2010-07-29, 04:42 PM)Gaara Wrote: [ -> ]How many posts did he have? I would just not delete them at all, or you break the entire flow of a lot of threads.

Thats why i don't want to delete them. He had the highest post count.

But i wanted to know the legal consequences
Well if You don't have any documents then you don't need to worry.

However if You have COPPA enabled and he was under 18 then you would be obliged.
(2010-07-29, 05:00 PM)Lyndon D. Wrote: [ -> ]Well if You don't have any documents then you don't need to worry.

However if You have COPPA enabled and he was under 18 then you would be obliged.

Ok. Thanks a lot Lyndon D. and Gaara

I sent him an email saying i will only change the posts username. If he got something to say, say, else i will do what i said.
Create a new user, assign the posts to that user, and make the profile look like he just disappeared.
(2010-07-29, 07:59 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Create a new user, assign the posts to that user, and make the profile look like he just disappeared.

This.

Legally, he can go whine to mommy and daddy, because he agreed to your rules.
His reasons for wanting to leave are pretty dumb. Legally, you can keep them.
(2010-07-29, 08:19 PM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]His reasons for wanting to leave are pretty dumb. Legally, you can keep them.

maybe this is the guy who thinks phpBB is more secure, LOL
Pages: 1 2