MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I sadly agree with this SMFer.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
He is talking about you, Ryan. Out of the development team, you are around the most.
(2010-07-29, 10:08 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]He is talking about you, Ryan. Out of the development team, you are around the most.

Right there is the flaw in their logic. Why do devs need to be active on the forum?? Why do SQA need to be active on the forum?? They generally don't. Are you subscribed to all activity on the Dev site?? I am, we have to be (well, should be) and I often come online in the morning to a whole load of emails. What's caused them?? Team members doing their jobs, fixing bugs, testing bug fixes. Devs and SQA not being on the forum doesn't mean that the people who are on the forums a lot every day are the only people doing anything. Obviously support need to be active on the forum as our work takes place on the forum, dev and SQA work generally does not.
(2010-07-29, 10:13 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-07-29, 10:08 PM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]He is talking about you, Ryan. Out of the development team, you are around the most.

Right there is the flaw in their logic. Why do devs need to be active on the forum?? Why do SQA need to be active on the forum?? They generally don't. Are you subscribed to all activity on the Dev site?? I am, we have to be (well, should be) and I often come online in the morning to a whole load of emails. What's caused them?? Team members doing their jobs, fixing bugs, testing bug fixes. Devs and SQA not being on the forum doesn't mean that the people who are on the forums a lot every day are the only people doing anything. Obviously support need to be active on the forum as our work takes place on the forum, dev and SQA work generally does not.

Indeed, and to justify why I am on so often is because it's my job to listen to the members and gauge what features are generally best to implement based on the current situation and a reasonable timeframe
I'm actually shocked that people believe Ryan and Matt to be the only ones who are active on the team. I'd like to think me and Huji take some of the pressure off Ryan, even though we're often very busy ourselves.

Whether it's doing a two minute patch to fix a bug, posting an opinion about guideline changes or responding to a support request, each member of the team is worth their weight in gold in my opinion...
Its the public eye though. They don't see that.
"spend time with development" VS "spending time posting in a forum"

Development for the win!

SMF = Fail
Just because someone is more visible here doesn't mean they are in charge, we all speak to Dennis and each other frequently over IM, VOIP and on the forums here. Your friend should be aware that Dennis is in charge here (if he expects Chris to be more active then he is) and I can assure you that the authority does come through Dennis, even if it's exercised through another team member.

Also seeing as Ryan and Matt are the Development and Support leads respectively I can't see why there is a problem with them displaying authority here? Matt is usually my first port of call when I need a decision, if he feels it's significant enough he tells me to refer it to Dennis.

He should be aware of the roles of the Management team as well:
Dennis: Project leader
Chris: Founder/leader
Alan: Mod site leader
Tochjo: Internationalization leader
To me, this guy has no clue what he's talking about, because they don't come on all the time, doesn't mean they ain't doing anything.
I remember when Matt was a noob. He's come a long way.
@Labrocca Would you rather to see police out in the community running services, or locked in a room trying to solve mysteries? Public seeing the staff is important.
Pages: 1 2 3 4