MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Best Database type for games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As you may know in my sig, i'm part of the ragewars team. We are similar to ogame.

I'm quite curious to think if there is a better database type then MySQL to program in.

This is just purely out of curiosity, i'm not gonna change it.
I sure hope you don't change it Toungue me and Marsh will have to rewrite the classes :p

I think mysql is probably best
God if we ever do it will be like in a year or two for a rewrite, if we do change that. Toungue
To be honest, if you plan on having integration with MyBB then I would stick with MySQL. However, as the game gradually gets bigger and bigger, MySQL and PHP really chews the RAM being an interpreted language. If you were aiming high and wanted the best possible efficiency and speed, I would be looking at using MSSQL 2008 and using an ASP.NET based forum software.

From experience in MMORPG development, I can tell you, MySQL and PHP can only get so far with minimal expense. It begins to get expensive hardware wise once you start getting 10s of thousands of players.

Best of luck though guys. I have high hopes!
I use windows servers daily, i sersiously won't ever use one personally. And mono isn't stable yet, so ASP is out sadly. Toungue.
A rewrite probably wouldn't be that hard. Me and Marsh are trying to get as much of the game OOP'd as possible. So a rewrite would be 40% class rewrite and 60% bug fixing for the new bugs we created Smile
Then you will have to sacrifice speed and efficiency for the easier yet more expensive approach. Don't get me wrong, PHP and MySQL are a great tool when it comes to game development, in fact I use it for the MyBB integration with OpenSMUS, but it will eventually require much more powerful hardware. Overclockers Australia's forums is run on a server with 16GB of RAM yet at peak times, it really struggles to run effectively.
Its a browser based MMO. It doesn't/won't take much to run.
(2010-07-30, 12:35 AM)Sleepwalker Wrote: [ -> ]Then you will have to sacrifice speed and efficiency for the easier yet more expensive approach. Don't get me wrong, PHP and MySQL are a great tool when it comes to game development, in fact I use it for the MyBB integration with OpenSMUS, but it will eventually require much more powerful hardware. Overclockers Australia's forums is run on a server with 16GB of RAM yet at peak times, it really struggles to run effectively.

So because they might be running on an optimized vB or server all php fails? I will admit that ASP can be less resource intensive since you have to compile it like a regular program now (while php is compiled when ever it loads).
(2010-07-30, 12:25 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]A rewrite probably wouldn't be that hard. Me and Marsh are trying to get as much of the game OOP'd as possible. So a rewrite would be 40% class rewrite and 60% bug fixing for the new bugs we created Smile

If it's well written, then OOP should do its job and a re-write wouldn't be needed. You'd only need to re-write the database class.
Pages: 1 2