MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a quick suggestion, when 1.6 becomes gold to also offer a tar.gz download. Might help some users from having to convert it. Thanks! Smile

EDIT: I just realized that this is in the wrong forum, sorry.
Umm, I don't follow. Zip files have been universally supported for years now.
Why would we need to create a compressed tarball of 1.6 gold for?
Anyone who knows how to use a computer surely knows how to decompress a .zip ...
What systems can't unpack a zip?? Confused We'd be catering for an incredibly small majority of users with that.
Aren't .tar.gz files smaller than .zip? This gives the user the ability to go with the smaller download (meaning less used bandwidth for you) if they can handle it or the larger if they can't.

... Then again aren't .tar.bz2 files smaller than .tar.gz?
We used to offer these but due to problems with the extensions that we used to generate them we had to remove them.
The reason I'm suggestion this is because some control panels like Direct Admin only allow you to unpack tar.gz files. And many people don't like using FTP.
.zip files are fine, every computer can unpack these.
And people should avoid hosts that forbid the decompression of .zip's.

Ryan already gave the reason why we can't use tarballs.
(2010-07-30, 08:10 PM)kyleowen Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I'm suggestion this is because some control panels like Direct Admin only allow you to unpack tar.gz files. And many people don't like using FTP.

There is information on DA's site to add support for zip's.

http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=895