MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Local clients?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Well, I had my first formal local client today Smile And well, the experience was pretty interesting and entertaining. I prepared a little slideshow for the client so we could have a better communication.

Though, I kind of had to put some time to make myself sound normal, and to not use any too specific word. But it all turned out pretty good. The client called his partner and we talked about what he would like for his website. So, they agreed to hire me and I'll be making their website Wordpress based.

I really prefered to make this kind of contact than online work. Dealing with persons face-to-face seems to fit me better Toungue

Anybody else offering services locally?
Yes, but no customers :O
I've done a website for someone.. bit difficult though since they're local but not in the same town (1.5hrs away) so I wasn't able to really create a perfect website for 'em. meh, whaddya do.
Only once, and it was for a guy I had known for a short time, however his site doesn't exist anymore...

Its kinda weird to serve people you have met face to face...
Yup all the time, though not for website designing, but for hosting, back up solutions, building computers, networking, etc. I've only done one of those on the computer, and the results were horrid. Quite terrible.

Also since you are trying local now, i really recomend getting a VPS from a nearish datacentre, and offer hosting aswell. As stupid as it sounds running your own server and upkeep and updating etc all to yourself, has its advantages, other then a lot of extra fees you add monthly. (Toungue) You have your client. You are dependant on another service.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE BUY THE DOMAIN FOR THEM! I am in this right now. I have a choice currently. My dad registered a domain for them 13 years ago. It is all in his name, and the payments have come from him, though he charged later, he didn't pay his bill the last 7 years. Now he wants to claim ownership of it. Me being myself said "Well, i have no records of you paying any bills the last seven years, not just the domain hosting either. The way i see it, you no longer own the domain, or even ever did!" They are actually bringing this to court, and i am quite sure i will win. They would prefer to settle, since i am countersueing aswell. <if tl;dr> Long short, save energy, and teach them how to do it, don't do it all for them </if tl;dr>
(2010-08-01, 01:40 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Yup all the time, though not for website designing, but for hosting, back up solutions, building computers, networking, etc. I've only done one of those on the computer, and the results were horrid. Quite terrible.

Also since you are trying local now, i really recomend getting a VPS from a nearish datacentre, and offer hosting aswell. As stupid as it sounds running your own server and upkeep and updating etc all to yourself, has its advantages, other then a lot of extra fees you add monthly. (Toungue) You have your client. You are dependant on another service.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE BUY THE DOMAIN FOR THEM! I am in this right now. I have a choice currently. My dad registered a domain for them 13 years ago. It is all in his name, and the payments have come from him, though he charged later, he didn't pay his bill the last 7 years. Now he wants to claim ownership of it. Me being myself said "Well, i have no records of you paying any bills the last seven years, not just the domain hosting either. The way i see it, you no longer own the domain, or even ever did!" They are actually bringing this to court, and i am quite sure i will win. They would prefer to settle, since i am countersueing aswell. <if tl;dr> Long short, save energy, and teach them how to do it, don't do it all for them </if tl;dr>

Well, I really know nothing about servers. But will probably go for it when I get more clients, because getting a server of my own would probably cost me more than what I'm billing them (you can't blame me; if I'm to have headaches with a server, I want it to be with a huge and powerful server Toungue). And I guess the closest data center to my place is in Mexico, and I wouldn't really trust them. So I'll be sticking with something in the US xD

*facepalm* We bought the domain with my namecheap account today. Oh man lol. At least the project is for something quite close to my school, so I hope it doesn't become much of a trouble.
You'd be suprised, there might be.

Also i suggest making an account for them, and transferring it Toungue
(2010-08-01, 02:00 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]You'd be suprised, there might be.

Good idea, but I kind of doubt they're willing to pay for the domain again. I guess I'll get to do that next year Toungue
Hell, I hardly even have any online clients Sad
But I would love to have local clients, it would be much easier.
(2010-08-01, 02:36 AM)combus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-08-01, 02:00 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]You'd be suprised, there might be.

Good idea, but I kind of doubt they're willing to pay for the domain again. I guess I'll get to do that next year Toungue

Namecheap allows free pushes to other namecheap accounts

(2010-08-01, 02:41 AM)Joshee Wrote: [ -> ]Hell, I hardly even have any online clients Sad
But I would love to have local clients, it would be much easier.

Honestly go out and try, its much easier.
Pages: 1 2 3