MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Shoutbox?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it a great idea to install shout box in a gaming forum?
You want content in threads, not a shoutbox.
(2010-08-01, 09:43 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]You want content in threads, not a shoutbox.
+1.
(2010-08-01, 04:30 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-08-01, 09:43 AM)CAwesome Wrote: [ -> ]You want content in threads, not a shoutbox.
+1.

+2 at the start you shouldn't
Shoutbox lowers posting rate and also causes many problem. Like users starts posting problems in shoutbox other than paming you. Like that.
It depends on what your topic is really.

On a site i got to "acctrade.org" the gaming focus is trading. The shoutbox is meant for small talk. Threads actually go down when its disabled, because there is no reason to stay on the site and read other offers.
On one of my sites, there is about a 50/50 mix of private shouts to public shouts. So it is used for short private messages half the time.
(2010-08-02, 03:25 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]It depends on what your topic is really.

On a site i got to "acctrade.org" the gaming focus is trading. The shoutbox is meant for small talk. Threads actually go down when its disabled, because there is no reason to stay on the site and read other offers.

This.

Though, it could become an issue once your site gets very high trafficked. Shoutboxes are known killers of ye olde bandwidth.
Iono... I've never actually compared the stats, which I probably should. But I think a shout box is better because once people are done posting they need something to keep them selves entertained, thus why I have an arcade also, IMHO I think my post count went up after I added the shout but I am not sure. One of these days I compare the stats.

But what I like to do is set up a group promotion so people with less then 5 posts can't see the shoutbox. So if any one just joined to ask help for a problem is forced to ask in the forums, and that leaves the chat for actual "Imma-stay-here-cuz-I-love-your-site-so-much members"
(2010-08-03, 03:43 AM)Ryan Ashbrook Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-08-02, 03:25 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]It depends on what your topic is really.

This.

Though, it could become an issue once your site gets very high trafficked. Shoutboxes are known killers of ye olde bandwidth.

As i also should've mentioned, shoutboxes are very very very bad if you want a low moderation forum. It creates a lot of drama, most of it that plays out through the shoutbox.
Pages: 1 2