MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mass Banning - is this possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After a long period of minimal spam, I've recently started to experience a huge upsurge in spammers registering and posting on my two myBB forums.

I want to know the quickest way of banning spammers. I've installed Akismet, and I love the Spam button which is quick and easy, but this is only usable when a spammer posts a message. But what about the big group of people who are obviously spammers but haven't posted?

I find it very tedious banning each of these on an individual basis. I would like to be able to look at a list of accounts, select several at one time, and ban them permanently. Is there a way of doing this? I can't find a plug in to manage users on a mass basis like this.

Alternatively, I would be happy to delete users at the database level using phpmyadmin, but this is dangerous. I tried it once on a couple of users and was left with orphan records.

How do others deal with banning several users at one time?

Thanks,

Drew
(2010-08-01, 11:20 AM)drewla Wrote: [ -> ]After a long period of minimal spam, I've recently started to experience a huge upsurge in spammers registering and posting on my two myBB forums.

I want to know the quickest way of banning spammers. I've installed Akismet, and I love the Spam button which is quick and easy, but this is only usable when a spammer posts a message. But what about the big group of people who are obviously spammers but haven't posted?

I find it very tedious banning each of these on an individual basis. I would like to be able to look at a list of accounts, select several at one time, and ban them permanently. Is there a way of doing this? I can't find a plug in to manage users on a mass basis like this.

Alternatively, I would be happy to delete users at the database level using phpmyadmin, but this is dangerous. I tried it once on a couple of users and was left with orphan records.

How do others deal with banning several users at one time?

Thanks,

Drew

Assign a modeartor,he will ban the users doing such things,in smf i have specially a "Global Moderator" for such purpose!
Thanks, but that's not the answer. It's a small forum, and I am the only administrator and moderator. I want to be able to go in once a day, and select all spam registrations and ban them all at once.

There may be 20 or 30 of these a day. I don't want to have to go into each account individually and ban them. It's too time-consuming, and would still be time consuming if I appointed a moderator to waste his own time rather than mine!

Any other thoughts?

Unfortunately I'm not a plugin writer but I would have thought this would be a good subject for a plugin i.e. generate a long list of registrations, able to select them all at once, then ban them all permanently, along with any messages they've posted, and also ban those IP addresses automatically. Perhaps those email addresses and IPs could be added to a central registry similar to the 'stop forum spam' plugin (which I have installed).
1.6 allows you to mass edit users I believe so you could check all of them and ban them all at once.
(2010-08-01, 04:10 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]1.6 allows you to mass edit users I believe so you could check all of them and ban them all at once.

Thanks Matt. Will try that.