MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: So...We should take Diablo 2 and...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Make a fork of it, like just completely rewrite the codebase of the game but keep the graphics the same.

Yeah...What'ya think about that?
That'd be fun.
What language would it be in, you think?
Would that be legal? Since Blizzard has the rights to the source code and all.
It won't happen. Just wait for Diablo3 or play TorchLight. Smile
(2010-08-02, 11:01 PM)Lightning92 Wrote: [ -> ]Would that be legal? Since Blizzard has the rights to the source code and all.

That depends. Blizzard lets people mod their games all the time (I don't mean the world editors).
Usually you just have to have some way of making sure the users have a legal copy (usually, you install from a disc. This means they have to have a physical copy).

(Note: You can't actually fork the Diablo 2 source code. You'd have to recreate it all).
(2010-08-02, 09:55 PM)TheLifelessOne Wrote: [ -> ]That'd be fun.
English, French, Spanish. Maybe German.
(2010-08-02, 11:01 PM)Lightning92 Wrote: [ -> ]Would that be legal? Since Blizzard has the rights to the source code and all.
It would be if we changed out the codebase of the entire game, and just same same-styled graphics, as long as we change the way the game looks.

We couldn't use the same sprite-like characters, THAT would also be illegal.

So to so, we'd have to change out the images.
(2010-08-03, 12:27 AM)Claire Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-08-02, 09:55 PM)TheLifelessOne Wrote: [ -> ]That'd be fun.
English, French, Spanish. Maybe German.
It would be if we changed out the codebase of the entire game, and just same same-styled graphics, as long as we change the way the game looks.

We couldn't use the same sprite-like characters, THAT would also be illegal.

So to so, we'd have to change out the images.

Sounds interesting, and i think TheLifelessOne ment like a program language lol Toungue
Yeah, I did.
C, C++, .NET (XNA, so it can go on Xbox), Python, etc.

It'd actually be better to build the engine in C/C++ (for speed), and write all the game logic in a scripting language (Lua or Python).
That way you don't have to recompile the entire source for minor updates. You just patch the correct script file.

Big Grin
(2010-08-02, 11:13 PM)TheLifelessOne Wrote: [ -> ]

That depends. Blizzard lets people mod their games all the time (I don't mean the world editors).
Usually you just have to have some way of making sure the users have a legal copy (usually, you install from a disc. This means they have to have a physical copy).

(Note: You can't actually fork the Diablo 2 source code. You'd have to recreate it all).

Huge difference between a world editor and reverse engineering a game.
You could do like OpenTTD: Rewrite the engine from scratch but use the same data files (OTTD had people install the data from the disk and was originally just meant to fix bugs and port to other platforms IIRC). I'm sure the data file formats have been cracked and documented somewhere, and I know for a fact that they are for the various algorithms, so you don't even have to deal with "reverse-engineering" laws.
Pages: 1 2 3