MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Website Firewall (Anti Spam)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
no offense intended, but how is this better than server-side security apps? sure it may protect your own website from malicious users but other sites on the server may not be protected and once exploited, a SpamTrawler protected site could still be vulnerable from the back end.
(2010-08-08, 04:36 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]no offense intended, but how is this better than server-side security apps? sure it may protect your own website from malicious users but other sites on the server may not be protected and once exploited, a SpamTrawler protected site could still be vulnerable from the back end.

Hi Pavemen,

Sorry but I don't quite understand your question.

The SpamTrawler is server-side.
It is hosted by yourself and installed in your DOCUMENT_ROOT just like any other PHP application on your website (It is not a hosted service).

The SpamTrawler is not a substitute for a correctly configured Server or OS Firewalls like APF.

SpamTrawler is VirtualHost/Domain based, not OS based.

---------------------------------------------------

OS Firewall:
Protects your OS/Server against attacks against your server services

Won't help you against Spam or other attacks on your Forum, Blog or other Web-Applications

---------------------------------------------------

Website Firewall (SpamTrawler):
Protects your WebApplications against Spam and RFI attacks

Won't protect your server services like SSH and so on

----------------------------------------------------

Example 1:
You get 50 spam registrations a day and each spammer posts 20 posts or blogs or whatever:
An OS Firewall would not be able to do anything against that as it does not protect your Website itself.
It protects the server your Website is running on.

Example 2:
Your SSH service is under attack:
SpamTrawler is not meant to protect your system services like SSH and so on.
It protects your Websites against different threats.

------------------------------------------------------

OS Firewall and server security and a Website Firewall (SpamTrawler) are different products alltogether.

They protect different areas on your server and cannot be compared to each other.
They are simply doing different jobs.

I hope this answers your question Smile

If not, please feel free to ask me again Smile

Questions do not offend me at all.

Kind Regards
Oliver
umm idn
Quote:umm idn

The ammount of WebSpam shows clearly that such meassures against Spam and RFI are by far not common.

Otherwise there wouldn't be that many Forums and Blogs full of Spam.

On top of this, if you are on shared hosting, you will not have any influence on the way your hosting provider configures the server.

Pages: 1 2