MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ability to attach to an external server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there,

Umm sometimes with servers having low bandwidth and storage, it will be nice to have an option that allow the user to specify an external server.

A specific Settings Set
The user will specify his
ftp host server
ftp username
ftp password

the password could be encrypted or whatever to ensure security.

In Server Optimization
the user will be able now to specify an external link to the upload directory.

So when someone now try to attach a file, or an avatar etc...
a ftp connection to the other server will take place using the settings specifid in the board settings. so that the files will be uploaded to the other server instead of the one that's hosting the board.

something like as a basic

$source = $_FILES['attachment']; // or what ever should be used

$conn = ftp_connect($mybb->settings['exftphost']) or die("Could not connect");
ftp_login($conn,$mybb->settings['exftpuser'],$mybb->settings['exftppass']);

echo ftp_fput($conn,$mybb->settings['exuploadspath'],$source,FTP_ASCII);

i hope u like it Rolleyes and i really think many wants that.

regards
I don't think many people have the luxury of two servers...
I'd say it's a rather unique feature you are requesting.
well if there is such an option in mybb , i guess they would probably request an other host to make it like a storage.

it's not neccessary that i mean paid hosts Big Grin it could probably both sites are on free host.

regards
Yes I thought this might be the case, but it would probably be against their TOS (terms of service). Otherwise anyone could sign up for multiple accounts and get unlimited storage...
Apart from that though, we'll have to see what other people say.
I think this will make for a good plugin Wink
So do I.

The problem with doing it is that the other host could go down at some stage, the script could timeout when uploading, then ftp'ing the attached file to the other server.
hmm then i have to mod it Confused !! alright !! hehe i thought i might share the idea with u 1stSmile

regards
Do you still plan to develop this mod?
Or Have you finished this Mod yet?
Well i've been so busy, and i have missed this mod several times and released others instead, however i really wanna give it a try.

I cannot gurantee a correct release date or even to estimate one.

Time rules Big Grin

Regards