MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Ethics question about recreating the same design/theme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok guys I've been googling this for a bit and haven't been able to find a sure answer so with all the themers here I'm sure some of you can help me. What's the general rule on recreating/copying a theme made by someone else. For instance if I see a theme/design I like and I go and make a theme/design that replicates it or looks nearly the same. Is this bad/illegal practice and where do you draw the line? I'm really curious about this b/c I've seen lots of themes for wordpress that I've used as inspiration for my own custom wordpress themes. And there's some mybb themes that I like that I would like to remake/remodel myself. Please share your opinion/knowledge on this matter! Thanks. Smile
Using themes for inspiration is good but cloning them is not so good.
(2010-08-06, 10:06 AM)Damion Wrote: [ -> ]Using themes for inspiration is good but cloning them is not so good.

QFT, use what inspires you but add your twist and in the end don't worry about because you know what there are only so many things that look good that you have the ability to make. Technically colors wise there are almost endless possibilities but we all know a huge chunk of those will never look good together.
If it's free, go for it.
If it's not, contact the author. If they say it's okay, go for it. If they don't, use it as inspiration and nothing more. In other words, don't copy copy images, CSS, or otherwise. Make it unique.