MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sign In with Facebook or Twitter, and other software.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2010-08-12, 03:20 AM)Jayfore Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like an interesting idea. Is there currently any way to link the FB account to the MyBB account? I'm thinking the entire scope of this project would be new.

That's the plan man. You can check out my IPB forum here as an example of what it can do.

(2010-08-12, 03:20 AM)Jayfore Wrote: [ -> ]One question... What are the benefits of allowing guests to post -- using FB account or otherwise?

I don't get why you'd do that. The facebook account allows them to register, but you wouldn't be able to post as a facebook user.

(2010-08-12, 03:20 AM)Jayfore Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, another question... Do you think the idea of linking to FB, to where the MyBB member's FB tagged photos (etc.) could be accessed via button, would be feasible?

It could. IPB's Login with Facebook feature allows you to sync your Facebook picture as your avatar or your display picture.
(2010-08-10, 01:46 AM)-AW- Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-08-09, 05:24 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]We can be without adding a facebook or tweeter option. My biggest concern is for facebook. They are like the amazon of social networks. They force people who they gain under their power to adhere to their wants. If they change something, everyone needs to. It's a big site, but I would like it if it stayed there on it's on. I don't want facebook to own the internet, or feel they do. I don't want to see a facebook button on every website I visit. Heck, I don't want to end up doing everything on the internet by logging into facebook. That would just be stupid.

Amazon does a similar thing to the world of shopping. Their suppliers are forced to Amazon a huge discount, and accept any returns without reason, for a full refund. So many suppliers rely on Amazon now to stay alive. And have before these rules were around. When they added this these companies had no choice but to obey, and it hurts them.

If everyone begins to want to login to facebook to get on a site what is going to happen? Well, facebook is going to have everyones information, and facebook is going to force every site, large and small, to have to connect to them. They will then begin to want amounts from these companies in order to use their services and only offer it under a ludicrous deal, such as "You can't put it on anything open source. Or you must give us these details about people. Or this or that. Or you must give us ownership of your script." What does this do? If they don't have it because it has become the standard, then they will die out. If they do have it they will pretty much have to sell their souls.

When most people gain power, the first thing they do is seek more. We've seen this a thousand times in History. :p As an open source free script, I believe it is our duty to fight such a thing. We want freedom. We don't want facebook, or anything that has a chance to completely take something over. Of course, we want power for ourselves, but it's more or less trying to spread that power to open source users. Not really to any specific company, or any one person. We like variety and customization. With facebook there, that seems impossible. Then we have to have their login like everyone else. I mean, facebook connectors and all are fine. But if we keep on this road every site will be expected to accept facebook. And everyone will use facebook. And then we will all be the same.

Well fine, but the point of Facebook Connect is to get existing Facebook users IN to the forum rather than them going exclusively on Facebook and not the forum in the first place. What I really am not getting is why are you giving it an outright no when you have not tried it and see what it has done to a forum.

I have tried it, and it did nothing for my forum. Absolutely nothing. :p Sure it works well on some forums. But not on all forums. If you want the feature, I am sure it will be built in a plugin. I just don't see why it has to be built into mybb from the beginning and why we have to have our developers worry about such a thing. I am glad your forum thrives because of it. And there is pretty much a 100% chance the feature will exist. But in plugin form. What is so wrong with that?
(2010-08-12, 04:15 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried it, and it did nothing for my forum. Absolutely nothing. :p Sure it works well on some forums. But not on all forums. If you want the feature, I am sure it will be built in a plugin. I just don't see why it has to be built into mybb from the beginning and why we have to have our developers worry about such a thing. I am glad your forum thrives because of it. And there is pretty much a 100% chance the feature will exist. But in plugin form. What is so wrong with that?

I'm with you -- should not waste time on it as part of the standard product, as, like you say, FB is changing its stuff around all the time. FB is hot right now and may not be next year, the year after, or whatever. I would rather have the developers making MyBB itself better (some of the improvements I listed previously would fall into this category), and then all these other addon-type things can be plugins that are developed by those that enjoy and are good at doing that.
it's easy!

i already connected my mybb 1.4 forum to facebook...
now i have members from facebook too....

the plugin which i created for it is sucks at coding, but better then nothing and it works just fine for me!
(2010-08-20, 12:35 PM)alilg Wrote: [ -> ]it's easy!

i already connected my mybb 1.4 forum to facebook...
now i have members from facebook too....

the plugin which i created for it is sucks at coding, but better then nothing and it works just fine for me!

cool. Congratz Smile

you could share your buggy codes so as we can work on it if you wish
well actually i had a multi-player chess game on my site, which i connected it to my mybb forum!
like first you have to register to my mybb at here http://www.alilg.com/forum/

then you could go to http://www.alilg.com/games/free-online-chess-challenge/
and login with your mybb forum username and start play chess...
i saving players chess scores at their profiles blablablabla....

i added my FACE BOOK connect button at this page!
http://www.alilg.com/games/free-online-chess-challenge/ (you have to click on RED PLAY button )

then it will register you to my MYBB forum!
Still want it?
it also set the user's facebook avatar as his/her mybb AVATAR!
extract Genre, country, flag etc... and it add them to user profile page!
i don't think you understand what i did with these busy busy codes!

but here is how it works!

first you have to create a CUTOME PROFILE FIELD
from mybb admin configuration->Custom Profile Fields

and call it FACEBOOK_ID then you have to save the users facebook is here!
and....

this is the method which i used to connect my mybb 1.4 to facebook
i attached it...

ask me, i can reply here.
(2010-08-06, 07:19 PM)TeamBlast Wrote: [ -> ]Not that I like saying this, but IPB and vB have this.

$150/$195. Enjoy.

(just because I seriously hate this argument)

Nah, seriously, this is so optional that having it as a plugin makes sense. As a core feature... hell nah, there is way better stuff to add as a core feature that this one.
(2010-08-20, 12:44 PM)alilg Wrote: [ -> ]well actually i had a multi-player chess game on my site, which i connected it to my mybb forum!
like first you have to register to my mybb at here http://www.alilg.com/forum/

then you could go to http://www.alilg.com/games/free-online-chess-challenge/
and login with your mybb forum username and start play chess...
i saving players chess scores at their profiles blablablabla....

i added my FACE BOOK connect button at this page!
http://www.alilg.com/games/free-online-chess-challenge/ (you have to click on RED PLAY button )

then it will register you to my MYBB forum!
Still want it?
it also set the user's facebook avatar as his/her mybb AVATAR!
extract Genre, country, flag etc... and it add them to user profile page!
i don't think you understand what i did with these busy busy codes!

but here is how it works!

first you have to create a CUTOME PROFILE FIELD
from mybb admin configuration->Custom Profile Fields

and call it FACEBOOK_ID then you have to save the users facebook is here!
and....

this is the method which i used to connect my mybb 1.4 to facebook
i attached it...

ask me, i can reply here.

It doesn't show up in the plugins page at all in 1.6. Other than that, it looks legit.
Facebook provides a Registration plugin that makes it easy for users to sign up with a site like MyBB, by pre-filling their information from Facebook where appropriate.

Anyway, there are already two Facebook Connect Plugins, one of which was developed by Nayar, who perhaps should have updated this thread Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6