MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Adjust default user group permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there,

I've been encountering a problem and wondered whether there are any better solutions for it.

When adding a new forum regardless the section "Use Group Default" is always checked. Adding a child forum correctly inherites the permissions of the parent, however they immediatly get overwritten when not being as the group default ones.

I went into Groups->"Forums and posts" and deselected for registered users, users awaiting moderation and guests "Can view threads?", "Can post new threads?" and "Can post replies to threads?" hoping that this would mean when creating a new forum and leaving "Use Group Default" selected, the actual perms wouldn't be overwritten. However with no success. Adding a new testforum in a section that disallows the respective groups to view it, however leaving "User group default" checked has overwritten the perms once again and made them visible for all (guests and registered) and writeable for registered users.

What can I do to solve this issue. While it is quite annoying to always deselect "use group default" we've once also encountered the issue that it happened by accident, and this should really not become standard.

Regards
I just edited the permissions in the Forums and Posts section of the usergroups settings and it inherited those settings when I made a new forum. I'm slightly confused by your explanation, is what happened with me what you expect it to do or not??
Yep I expect the child forum to inherit the permissions from its parent. When adding the forum and scrolling down to permissions the correct permission boxes of its parent are already checked. At that point everything is fine. "Use group default" is also checked for any group. The moment I click on "Save forums" and then click on the new forum to check on its permissions, the group default permissions apply which is "Can view?" for guests and all for registered users. Allthough it should inherit the parents permissions it has overwritten them with the group default permissions (as the box is checked).

However e.g. in the group permissions of "guests", only "Can view board" and "Can view user profiles" is selected, everything else is unchecked.

Just ask me directly what's unclear - I am aware it sounds confusing, it is confusing for me as well - and I ll do my best to rephrase it / explain it in a better way.