MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Share userbases
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I want to develop a website that has a database of websites, and I am going to be using MyBB in two areas of this site. First will be the community, and second will be the database. These will be two separate boards, but I want to share the user base between them. Is this possible?

I haven't started the forum yet, just planning.
Yes, with a little modification it can be done. You would have to go through and change all the user database calls to one database and leave everything else out. :p
not possible without a lot of edits. there are many built-in functions that specify the user table in them as well as plugins and other code that queries the user table directly. the built in functions all assume a single table prefix, so unless you want to find and rewrite all the queries.... and that is just the user table.s

if you want true integration, you need to handle PMs and sessions as well.

no 'little modification' about it.
(2010-08-09, 09:35 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, with a little modification it can be done.

It's a tad more than a little....

This is probably the easiest way to do it:
  1. Set up 1 forum
  2. Create categories for each of the "seperate" forums
  3. Write a plugin to show the index stats on the category display page
  4. Write a .htaccess rule to make the category index act like the index for your forum
  5. Set different themes based on the category for each setting
  6. Write a plugin that sets a cookie when you move onto one of you forums that sets the theme for the parts which are common between your two forums (such as UCP)

So it will basically appear like two separate forums but it will really only be one.
(2010-08-09, 11:42 PM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-08-09, 09:35 PM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, with a little modification it can be done.

It's a tad more than a little....

This is probably the easiest way to do it:
  1. Set up 1 forum
  2. Create categories for each of the "seperate" forums
  3. Write a plugin to show the index stats on the category display page
  4. Write a .htaccess rule to make the category index act like the index for your forum
  5. Set different themes based on the category for each setting
  6. Write a plugin that sets a cookie when you move onto one of you forums that sets the theme for the parts which are common between your two forums (such as UCP)

So it will basically appear like two separate forums but it will really only be one.

I am auctually not going to be having anything fancy on the database forum, just the header, categories (presented in a way you have never seen before) and the footer. I just want my users to be able to log-on to the main page or the community and stay logged in on either. I don't even want posts to count across both boards. I can make the UserCP link to the community easily, so that's not a problem either.