MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I hide the last post text for a private sub-forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

My forum is at: http://www.marriedandhappy.com/Forum

As you can see, I have a couple of public sub-forums and several private sub-forums.

I just added another private sub-forum (PurposeAndMoney) and as you can see, it shows the last post text whereas my other private sub-forums do not.

So, the question is, how do I turn off the last post text for a private sub-forum?

I've looked closely at the forum settings and group settings for my private sub-forums that do NOT show the last post text...and compared it to this new private sub-forum that DOES show it...and I can't see anything different.

I'm sure it's something simple but I'm sure not seeing it.

Thanks in advance,
Calle

PS: A HUGE thank you to all past and present developers and supporters of this fantastic software. I appreciate and enjoy all that you guys/gals have created.
For that forum set custom permissions for guests and uncheck 'Can View Thread in Forum' Smile
Thank you for your quick response...

Ok, I can see that your answer will indeed create the result I want because now that you've pointed this out, I can see my other private sub-forums are set in exactly this way.

However, there seems to be a new problem...when I go uncheck "Can View Thread in Forum" and save my changes, it won't actually save my changes.

So, to be more specific...

1. PurposeAndMoney is my private sub-forum that is showing the last post text in the index for guests and I don't want it to.

2. In my control panel, I click "Forums & Posts". This lists out my various forums.

3. I click the "Options >> Edit Forum" button to the right of my PurposeAndMoney sub-forum.

4. I then scroll down to the bottom where the PurposeAndMoney permissions table is. The first group listed is "Guests" and the "Use Group Default" checkbox is UNchecked.

5. I then click the "Edit Permissions" link to the right of "Guest" which takes me into the permissions screen for "Guest" in relation to the PurposeAndMoney sub-forum.

6. I can select either the "Use user group permissions or inherit permissions from parent forums" or "Use custom permissions (below)" radio button and click "Save Forum Permissions" and it will save the radio button I selected.

7. However, it will NOT save the underlying checkboxes. First, I click the "Use custom permissions (below)" radio button. Then, I UNcheck ALL of the checkboxes, click "Save Forum Permisions" which automatically takes me back to the permissions table for the PurposeAndMoney sub-forum.

8. I go check my forum index and the last post still shows up...so I go back and re-click the "Edit Permissions" to the right of "Guest" and all of the checkboxes are reset right back to the default group settings that they were set to before I unchecked them.

9. I test this multiple times...and every time it will NOT save the changes.

10. So, I'm confident your advice would work perfectly IF I could just get the software to save my settings!

Thanks for your help.

Calle
Ok, I've solved my problem.

I upgraded to v1.6.0 in hopes that it would work properly in saving the settings.

Well, I was able to get the settings changed and saved...and so I'm good now.

But, the Forum >> Edit Permissions code changes made in 1.6.0 don't seem to be ready for release because when I click the "Save Forum Changes" (using Google Chrome) the software apparently saves the changes but then it just hangs with a circling "Loading" message and I had to actually to reload my entire control panel to clear away the darkened screen. When I came back around to see if it saved the changes, they were saved. I experimented some more and any time I try to "Save Forum Changes" the screen just hangs up with the circling loading message.

I can be more specific / elaborate if anyone needs me to.
(2010-08-15, 09:59 PM)CalleZorro Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I've solved my problem.

I upgraded to v1.6.0 in hopes that it would work properly in saving the settings.

Well, I was able to get the settings changed and saved...and so I'm good now.

But, the Forum >> Edit Permissions code changes made in 1.6.0 don't seem to be ready for release because when I click the "Save Forum Changes" (using Google Chrome) the software apparently saves the changes but then it just hangs with a circling "Loading" message and I had to actually to reload my entire control panel to clear away the darkened screen. When I came back around to see if it saved the changes, they were saved. I experimented some more and any time I try to "Save Forum Changes" the screen just hangs up with the circling loading message.

I can be more specific / elaborate if anyone needs me to.

Sounds like a Chrome issue. It all works fine for me in FF. Chrome is still a very broken browser in many ways. It has issues with JavaScript still for one.
Chrome works fine for me with that. If your using a dev or beta release go back to stable. Toungue

@Dylan - It's only broken if you don't use the stable. I've had no issues whatsoever with Chrome.
Thank you everyone for your help and support. I appreciate it very much.

Ok, my previous question has been resolved but now I have a similar but different "how-to" question...and be patient with me as I explain the problem...

I have 2 public forums and 7 private forums in my forum at www.MarriedAndHappy.com/Forum (and the 7th of these private forums is a new one that I just added...which has triggered my need for this help.)

1) If I am a guest or a registered user, then I DO see the "last post" text for the public forums and NOW (see my above posts), I do NOT see the "last post" text for the private forums. Rather, I see the "dashes" indicating the text is private. THIS IS GOOD! This is what I want.

Side Note: For each of the private forums, I have set up a corresponding "Group" that controls access to the private forum.

2) If I am a group member of any one of the first 6 private forums, then I see the "last post" text for that specific private forum that I have permission to access on the top-level index page of the forum but "dashes" for all the other private forums that I do not have permission to access. Thus, the contents of those other private forums is hidden from me. THIS TOO IS GOOD. This is what I want.

3) If I set myself as a group member of the 7th private forum...the one I just added, then, I see the "last post" text for ALL 7 of the private forums on the top-level index page even though I do not have permission to access the first 6 of them. This is NOT what I want...and I can't seem to find the difference in settings to turn it off...so that the behavior of this 7th private forum matches that of the first 6.

Can someone please tell me how?

Thanks again.

Calle
Anyone?