MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [Quiz] How exposed are you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The ACLU has a new quiz that should be taken by anyone who's ever sent an email or used a cell phone.

Why?

* With each passing day, we're leaving a trail of more and more personal data. Take cell phones, for example—90% of Americans carry one, each of which can be used as a tracking device.
* At the same time, the government's appetite for our electronic information is out-of-control. The National Security Agency is intercepting 1.7 billion emails, phone calls and other communications per day.

The combination of rapidly-advancing technology and ever-expanding government surveillance could be putting your private information at risk.

http://www.aclu.org/privacyquiz

My results are what i figured Smile

"You're harder to spot than Waldo"
Off Topic: Are you The Dude on WHT?

On Topic: I didn't bother taking the quiz because I publish the majority of my personal information online by choice. Wink

Yup i am on WHT buddy Smile

Nice site isnt it??
First question:
Quote:If you are sharing sensitive information in emails, you should know that the government is taking advantage of loopholes in outdated privacy laws to try to get its hands on email without a search warrant.
Your ISP can intercept this as well, why does it matter if the government can access it? It's the government remember, not the mob. They have access to information far more valuable than my emails (or for the sake of my security I hope they do at least).

Second question:
Quote:Setting your photos and videos to "private" doesn't mean they stay private from the government. Outdated privacy laws, written before the Web even existed, mean that all this personal information isn't being properly protected from prying eyes.
I'm sure there are some government employees who have a fetish for pictures of my new phone but other than that why would they care? I wouldn't post pictures of me robbing a bank on facebook...

Third question:
Quote:Almost every American carries a cell phone, yet few think about the information these devices are collecting. Whether you're visiting a therapist or liquor store, your location is available -- in real time, and months later. This is a treasure trove of information that's valuable to companies and the government, which uses it to follow many thousands of people a year.
GSM triangulation is nowhere near that accurate.

Fourth Question:
Quote:Shopping online is handy, but your purchases -- not just what you buy, but even just what you look at -- can often be traced back to you.
Oh no.... they might know where to deliver my package! Worse still, the government might know where I live if they were too lazy to just look up my driving licence and get the details from that.

What about what I look at? How is this different from someone seeing me in a shop that I would rather not be seen in? At least this way the data is very difficult to extract.

Fifth question:
Quote:Many search engines keep records about you and your searches for months or even years. You should be able to use a search engine when you look up health concerns or political material without worrying that companies will keep files on you -- or that the government will try to access those personal searches without a warrant.
Not that evil government again! Or those pesky corporations which play by the governments rules...

Sixth question:
Quote:Most social networking sites keep records of every friend you chat with, every status update you post and every page you visit (how often have you been checking out your old flame's page?). Until outdated electronic privacy laws are updated (we're working on it!), you can't be sure that the government won't get its hands on your personal information without a warrant.
Of course they keep records, if they didn't store your status updates how would they display it on your profile later? Whats even more concerning is that the government might discover from my status updates that I missed my bus this morning... oh no!

Seventh question:
Quote:And we're sure she would come to visit you in the hospital. But she can't repair the damage being done to your privacy. Because of outdated privacy laws, the government claims that it doesn't need a warrant to demand records of your location. And this data can reveal a lot about you: where you go, what you do, and who you know.
Uhhh, a GPS navigator doesn't report back, it just receives GPS signals. To see your tracks the ("evil") government would have to actually get the device and this is no more risky then them seeing what pages you have bookmarked in your street directory....

Eighth question:
Quote:eReaders and digital book services are nifty, but many also have the ability to collect and retain very detailed information about the reader, including how often a book is read, how long a page is viewed, and even what notes are written in the "margins.
What? Who would read an adult mag on a black and white kindle? Why would I be concerned if they knew what books I was reading?

At the end of this I got "You're more exposed then lady gaga."

This quiz though has nothing to do with privacy, it's just standard anti government sentiment labeled with a legitimate issue that should be be given it's own legitimate attention, not used as a method of disguising their conspiracy.

Seriously, the government is the least of my concerns when it comes to my privacy. There are far more dangerous threats which need to be addressed first.
Ya alot of the questions were hard to answer Tim as my answer to them WAS NO!!

Question #4 was NO but there was no "NO" option so i picked the first option on the list..
(2010-08-12, 09:23 AM)Tim B. Wrote: [ -> ]First question.....
<sniped so it doesn't take up a whole page>

Thanks for the lols. +1 mate, this test is bull <snip>. Also, wouldn't ACLU have a .edu domain?
Apparently, I'm..

[Image: headline-medium-low-exposure.png]
Cool I just noticed that I'm famous (more famous than Jackie O it says)
Jakie O...
(2010-08-12, 11:00 AM)Tierney Wrote: [ -> ]Jakie O...

Oops I typed 0 instead of O
Pages: 1 2 3