MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question: can i use an existing MySQL which is already in use for ecommerce?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
sorry if this is a stupid question, I have had a fall out with the website tech for charging me 500% mark up on hosting, SSL etc and now learning how to do things myself Undecided

i have a oscommerce driven ecommerce website, with 50mb sql database avaliable and 20gb space HD provided by the Hosting provider. i have the database already in use by the store and wanted to attach a forum.

Am I able to simply create a new directory, and use the existing db? or do i require a new db?Huh hmmm and the next question .... am i able to share login details for the store and the forum or do they require seperatation ... i could see security being an issue there but just drumming ideas

I should note, this is the best forum software i have seen YET, does everything you could want, been a week of midnight researching
Yes you can use the same database and the same MySQL user if you wanted to. There'd be more room for security issues though.
hmmm, using the standard without changing the code, whats the security like using this software with this idea?
(2010-08-12, 02:48 PM)freelancement Wrote: [ -> ]hmmm, using the standard without changing the code, whats the security like using this software with this idea?

MyBB security in general is pretty good. And when security flaws are uncovered they are patched very quickly.
do you have the original database from the host you are leaving? if so, is the table naming prefix for the commerce site different from the forum tables?

you can import the dump file from your current database into the commerce database as long as the tables start with different prefixes (which is most likely the case). Then upload the MyBB files, edit the config and settings files and the settings table in the DB to use all the new host/db settings

as for security between the two sets of tables, it is dependent on how secure the individual components are.

combining logins is probably possible, but not without a plugin or other bridge system.