MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: $50 Computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I bought a $50 computer today.

Quote:Acer Veriton 3600G PC (Pretty old)
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz

50GB HDD, 768MB Ram,

It comes with a mouse, 15inch LCD monitor and a keyboard. All for $50, nice ey?

What can I do with it, that's the question. Smile
736mb RAM? What config is that in? 512mb + ?, 256mb +? :p

Also penguin 4 is pretty old and covers a wide range of processors. Which p4 is it?

Also, I don't trust avers as far as I can throw them. Personal opinion though Smile
(2010-08-13, 06:53 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]736mb RAM? What config is that in? 512mb + ?, 256mb +? :p

Also penguin 4 is pretty old and covers a wide range of processors. Which p4 is it?

Also, I don't trust avers as far as I can throw them. Personal opinion though Smile

Typo 768MB*.
So 256 + 512? :p

Dual channel ram?
$50 too much.
(2010-08-13, 07:55 AM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]$50 too much.

Care to elaborate?
A VPS costs anywhere from $20-$30 with these specs, might be a worse computer, but a bit of customization can make it good. I'd say this was a good investment.
Is this for a dedi? Or a home server or something?

Probably the highest cost in servers is bandwidth. Also, most hosts have 100/1000mb Networking, with huge upload speeds. Try getting broadband at that speed, it will cost you a fortune, especially considering most broadband connections have high download speeds not upload. Also, if you decide to stream some music or visit youtube on another PC in your house, you'll slow down the server.

(2010-08-13, 09:15 AM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]Is this for a dedi? Or a home server or something?

Probably the highest cost in servers is bandwidth. Also, most hosts have 100/1000mb Networking, with huge upload speeds. Try getting broadband at that speed, it will cost you a fortune, especially considering most broadband connections have high download speeds not upload. Also, if you decide to stream some music or visit youtube on another PC in your house, you'll slow down the server.

I'm not planning this to be used as a dedi, I was just saying I got this for a pretty cheap price. Big Grin
I think it's pretty decent. It is a nice thought that if anything happens to your PC you won't be cut off from the internet and all.
Use it to fully automate your house :p http://www.smarthome.com.au/p--X10+RF+Tr...s-180.html
Pages: 1 2