MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Skype
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The reason i don't want IMs to become default is that there is not an IM which everybody uses. If the majority of people use some type of IM in a country, in another country the situation may not be the same.

e.g.
I have never heard of ICQ number, AIM screen name. I don't know what these are.

It really annoys me to see those contact details blank on my site.

Skype may be popular in some countries but for some, it might annoy them.

If you guys want to make skype default, you must also provide a way to delete it.

A setting in the ACP for additional contact information seems the only way to go.

ICQ has been around a long time, but is actually owned by AOL now... the makers of AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) They can add each other's contacts.

The same is true (adding each others' contacts) for Yahoo IM and MSN Messenger. In fact I only use Yahoo, but most of the rest of the team uses MSN.

Skype is pretty well accepted internationally.

[OPINION=Personal]
Also, just because you don't know of them doesn't mean you should remove them. They hurt nothing to just leave there even if no one uses them.
[/OPINION]
(2010-08-16, 02:08 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]The reason i don't want IMs to become default is that there is not an IM which everybody uses. If the majority of people use some type of IM in a country, in another country the situation may not be the same.

e.g.
I have never heard of ICQ number, AIM screen name. I don't know what these are.

It really annoys me to see those contact details blank on my site.

Skype may be popular in some countries but for some, it might annoy them.

If you guys want to make skype default, you must also provide a way to delete it.

A setting in the ACP for additional contact information seems the only way to go.

Both of those are really popular. It's really easy to delete them off of your site though. Just look at the templates. Most people these days have at least one im that they use. I have one for each. Most people do not and most people leave a couple of those fields blank. Most forums do use those fields, at least ones I have visited. So if most users are using it and it isn't a pain to get rid of or to keep maintained why would it make sense to delete?

I also think they should add a facebook profile name field. :p But that is just me.

[opinion type=personal]
Having only what you need looks more professional.
[/opinion]
(2010-08-16, 02:27 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ][opinion type=personal]
[/opinion]

This is true. But it goes both ways, not having an option may look unprofessional as well. Of course, every forum is different. And a lot depends on what your board is about.
(2010-08-16, 02:27 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ][opinion type=personal]
[/opinion]

So lets get rid of quick reply, smilies, post icons, a rating system, moderation tools, profiles, and just put it down to posting on forums. That would be extremely professional wouldn't it?

(2010-08-16, 02:54 AM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]So lets get rid of quick reply, smilies, post icons, a rating system, moderation tools, profiles, and just put it down to posting on forums. That would be extremely professional wouldn't it?

I use these. And i like these. lol xD
(2010-08-16, 02:56 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-08-16, 02:54 AM)HolyPhoenix Wrote: [ -> ]So lets get rid of quick reply, smilies, post icons, a rating system, moderation tools, profiles, and just put it down to posting on forums. That would be extremely professional wouldn't it?

I use these. And i like these. lol xD

This is why this whole discussion is "personal opinions", because everyone wants different feature sets. I also made sure to note mine as personal so no one would take it as an oppinion of the MyBB Staff as a whole. Smile

And while I don't argue with your point that it would be nice to be able to add custom IM fields from the ACP, most people are happy with the default. I personally would like to see both Skype and xfire added. xfire is especially popular with some gaming communities.
For the first time i am hearing xFire too.
lol xD

* Nayar stops arguing.
How about someone create an additional contact fields plugin for 1.6? I'd use one in a jiffy!
Pages: 1 2