MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Stop Forum Spam for 1.6?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there,

I have the Stop Forum Spam plug-in by TimB. for 1.4 and there doesn't seem to be an update for 1.6. I miss this plug-in already. Anybody know if it's been updated/where I can find it?

Thanks in advance, Reece.
Try opening it up and changing the compatibility from 1.4.x to 1.6.x
(2010-08-15, 05:07 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Try opening it up and changing the compatibility from 1.4.x to 1.6.x

How do I do that?
Edit the plugin's file in a text editor like notepad++

Find this:
14*

and change it to:
16*
Ah, great, that fixed it. Many thanks. Smile
The last comment posted about this plug-in, if used with MyBB 1.6 posted on the 21st Jan 2011 here (quoted below).

Quote:This Plugin is not 1.6 compatible. As far as I can see, the plugin sends the API-request, handles the response correctly, but fails on placing the error message correctly. Tried to fix it, didn't work though.

Mentions something about the API not showing the error message to people denied registration (I think). Can anybody shed more light if this plug-in, is in fact working OK with MyBB 1.6.x?

I've changed the version numbering in the plug-in file and do have it installed on my MyBB 1.6.1 forum board. It appears to work fine, no errors or anything like that spotted. But still have no way of knowing if it's working 100% with that "API Error", as only a spammer would see that error message shown to them, so you cannot test it myself.
You needed to bump this to say something that was already said?
If you mean it was already said on the main plug-in page, yes I posted that there after posting this here. To make others aware of it, thinking about using the plug-in. As the last message posted there reported problems with the plug-in API error message being displayed, but I tested some known spam names and emails listed at StopForumSpam today on my own forum and all worked fine for me, no issues at all.

So I posted that there so others wouldn't think it doesn't work with MyBB 1.6.1, which is what that last message read before my posting.
I've not had any bot registrations since installing it (and I got them regularly), though I also have Fassim Anti Spam and reCAPTCHA installed. It may be the combination stopping the bots.
(2011-02-13, 02:56 AM)Reece Wrote: [ -> ]I've not had any bot registrations since installing it (and I got them regularly), though I also have Fassim Anti Spam and reCAPTCHA installed. It may be the combination stopping the bots.

I changed the version number and running 1.6.0 shows installed (the deinstall option shown) but is not blocking - maybe I'm the only one its not work for Sad I get 10-20 spam registrations a day even with reCaptcha and e-mail verification so must be humans. Probably 75% show up on the Stop Spam list. Some not on the list leave silly links in their signatures. Ban IPs but having problems that some are rotating and have blocked a few legitimate folks.

May try Fassim and recheck the changed version number but I think I've already double checked the change a few times over the last six months.

Pages: 1 2