MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: prevent group from accessing a forum, but still visible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
okay how would i do this?
i'm used to using IPB, and you can prevent users from accessing a forum/subforum, but they can still see that the forum exists, and can see the latest posts, but just cannot access it to read the forums.

On mybb, you just seem to be able to hide it from them all together, which i do not want to do.

I noticed there is a "open forum" feature that says you can add people to it, but i haven't figured out how. not sure if that'd work.

What i'm tryin to do is set up a special downloads forum for active members. I have an auto group promotion hat promotes the group once they reach 50 posts, and i only want that group to have access.

But still want guest and the normal users to see tat the forum does exist, and the latest posts on it. Just show up normal like other forums/subforums do, but it wont let them access it. This could make them wanna get the posts to access it.

Whats the best way to go about this on Mybb?
A plugin. Not sure if one exists. One of my plugins "Guests Can't View Threads" does something similar to this, and could most likely be modified to do what you want if you have basic php knowledge. If not, post in the requests section.

Regards,
Jammerx2
(2010-08-17, 04:53 AM)Jammerx2 Wrote: [ -> ]A plugin. Not sure if one exists. One of my plugins "Guests Can't View Threads" does something similar to this, and could most likely be modified to do what you want if you have basic php knowledge. If not, post in the requests section.

Regards,
Jammerx2

I really don't know how to program. Did you use a simple feature that like blocks that guestgroup using their ID? so that could probably just be edited to include both the member group, and guest?
You need the Min Posts Suite plugin , at mybbcentral
(2010-08-17, 09:54 AM)Janota Wrote: [ -> ]You need the Min Posts Suite plugin , at mybbcentral

naw, i'll stick to the free/open source community and atmosphere here. Smile

Edit:
YES! found exactly what i was looking for before i tried doing this group promotion.
Found "post required to view" plugin at mybbsource, which works perfect.

problem resolved Big Grin