MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Just installed Ubuntu.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just installed Ubuntu on my Windows 7 PC. I have it so on boot I can just choose if I want to run Windows 7 or Ubuntu. So far, I like it a lot. It's a lot faster than Windows 7. I recall reading a thread where everybody was bashing on Ubuntu. not sure why I think it's great. Smile
* faviouz is jealous.

I've been wanting to switch to Ubuntu for months now, and only now I'll be able to do it. Faster, safer, cooler and will keep me off games during school (therefore better grades). Can't get any better than that.
(2010-08-17, 11:34 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]* faviouz is jealous.

I've been wanting to switch to Ubuntu for months now, and only now I'll be able to do it. Faster, safer, cooler and will keep me off games during school (therefore better grades). Can't get any better than that.

The good thing is, I didn't actually switch. I can still run Windows 7 whenever I want to, but anytime I just want to surf the web I think I'll be using Ubuntu because it's way faster. I'm also using Wine to use some Windows programs.
I find most Linux distros to be great for the average PC user. Yes it is faster and smoother, but it all truly depends on what you do with your computer. I spend a lot of time gaming and a few months ago when I switched to Ubuntu, it was not compatible with my GPU so I decided to stick with Windows 7. If you are able to find native alternatives to the popular Win32/Win64 based applications then kudos to you but it seems that most of the commericial game developers tend to lean towards Windows and MacOSX.

I suggest you download a copy of Wine right away and use Emesene for MSN based instant messaging. You can just use the packet manager for obtaining and installing copies. Oh, OpenArena is a great Quake III based native FPS too. I used to be addicted to it months back.

sudo apt-get install wine
sudo apt-get install emesene
sudo apt-get install openarena

Best of luck! It is always exciting to learn a new operating system.
Emesene <3

Ubuntu POS. If you are a day to day user your fine. But once you want to optimize it, so it doesn't take a minute and a half to boot, you dead. Ubuntu takes long to load then windows seven on my machine. :/ Gentoo <3