MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Moderator as Additional User Groups - Not working well
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
New installation or upgrade (from which version of MyBB)?
New instalation, data imported from phpBB3..

The problem is, I gave "Moderators" group permissions to moderate all of my forums, then i went to my moderator profile, and made him a Moderator (in Additional Usergroups), the problem is that if the Moderator group is defined in "Additional usergroups" he cannot moderate the forum, he can access the "Mod CP", but the moderator tools like edit posts.. are not avaiable. Now, changing his "Primary User Group " from 'Registered' to 'Moderators' its works well...

Screenshots when the problem occours
- User Groups
[Image: notworking.png]

- Moderator tools not avaiable
[Image: notworking2.th.png]

Screenshots when everything is OK
- User Groups
[Image: workingk.png]

- Moderator tools avaiable
[Image: working2.th.png]

Hi braca,

From what I understand, MyBB allows a user to use moderation tools in the forum and thread views only if their primary group is set to Moderator. It's just that you can "cloak" the primary user group with the display user group, which in both of your screen captures display the user as a Beta Tester.

As an example, one of the forums I run has a user that is primarily an Administrator, but displayed as a regular forum user. Said user is able to access the Admin CP, Mod CP, and the Moderation tools in both forum and thread views.
The Moderator group doesn't grant any moderator permissions in forums. You have to add the user as a moderator to a forum, and set the permissions there. The Moderator group is really so you can identify them as mods and set forum permissions etc; being in that group doesn't automatically give you permissions, that's what the Super Moderator group is for, and you don't even have to be in the moderator group to be added as a moderator to a particular forum.

Just tried on my test forum, added a user to the Moderator group and they had no powers anywhere as I hadn't added them as a moderator anywhere; then added them as a moderator to a forum, removed them from the moderator group completely so they were just in Registered, not even a moderator as an additional group, and they had powers then as they were added as a moderator to a forum. The moderator group and actual moderation permissions aren't linked at all.
Or if you want them to be able to have moderator powers on all forums, but no ACP access just check the box that says: Yes, users of this group are super moderators. Don't check the box that says Yes, users of this group can access the admin cp. I have one of my moderators set up this way and he can lock topics in any forum without me adjusting any permissions at all.