MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Email -> Announcement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

What I was hoping that someone has created / could create is a plugin (or some way of) sending a email to a particular email address and having the subject and contents of the email become a new announcement thread..

Is there any sort of plugin or way of doing this?

Cheers,
Mujibar
You could just everytime there is an announcement, send a mass PM.
Nice idea by the way.
you need to be able to 'pipe' an email address to a script. ask your host if you can do that. if so, then you can make use of a plugin that someone can write to handle it.

if someone makes this i would suggest supporting announcements pms and maybe replies to subscribed threads.
Hmm, I wonder if there is anyone that is good enough to make this.

Could someone possibly make this script please? Über amounts of cookies will be packaged and sent for the best submission!
(2010-08-23, 10:49 AM)Mujibar Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, I wonder if there is anyone that is good enough to make this.

Could someone possibly make this script please? Über amounts of cookies will be packaged and sent for the best submission!

do you have the ability to pipe an email to a script on your domain?
@pavemen :

You are right, your method would be a quite good one to achieve the analysis of each eMail each time one is coming in!

But it could also be done with a FTP access, included in a task, reading the proper mail directory with sockets function if available in their hosting PHP.

I quite appreciate to see good knowledge and programming skills and this is why i wanted to applaude your answer... Cool
Thanks for acknowledging my feedback exdiogene.

I have done the pipe method with my own site (before I moved to MyBB) and it worked fine as a pipe script. It was not very 'intelligent' as a script so there were parsing issues and the like as I expected infinite variability (formats, html, text, both tpyes, images, links, etc) in the emails I would receive, but its totally doable especially if one expects only text content in a fixed structure.

In my opinion it the better solution as it is immediate (I would assume that the need for announcements via email would be necessitated by some bit of urgency).

Even through FTP, as long as you can FTP deep enough into your hosting account, you can set up a task to track the last email timestamp parsed and posted, grab the new ones and start adding new content to specified forums and even delete and edit them from an email command.
It is quite evident that you had some experience with this... Wink

I have done an email filtering and bouncing PHP application using the piping method. Making believe to the Spammers that their eMails were really bounced because of no existing mailbox! So this have decreased the spamming incredibly...

You have understood the way to do the process with FTP, most hosting company would allow you to access your home directory just underneet the www directory. This is normally allowing access to the mail directories and from there you can parse the content as you already wrote.

The task could be set for each 5 minutes so the delay of processing new eMails could be quite short...

Wink
i'd consider making this plugin but i am not sure i'd have the time. i'd probably try to support pipes and ftp option.

i'd also really think about supporting PM replies and even simple replies to subscribed threads. however, that would be counterproductive to traffic/revenue and likely cause an increase in resource usage