MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google Description
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am very pleased to say that my site appears at the top of the google for the subject it is intended for.

My site: www.vampirecounts.net (Carpe Noctem)

If you google vampire counts it comes up top. However I did notice something odd, in that the forum description is for one of the sub forums.

Previously in 1.4 I have a meta tag plugin which seemed to make sure the right description (i.e the one on the portal page appeared).

In 1.6 I finally got round to installing the Google SEO plugin, which I assumed would do all that automatically. It certainly has made sure all the forum and thread names appear instead of forum ID.

Basically I want to know have I done something wrong, and how can I ensure that the description that appears in Google is the right one, not just something random from my forum?

Cheers

DoN
Google SEO plugin only creates meta descriptions for threads and forums, you need to add your own to the index.

In your index template find:
{$headerinclude}
Add after:
<meta name="keywords" content="keyword, keyword" />
<meta name="description" content="Description of your forum" />
Great. Thank you very much for your quick and helpful answer, I will be adding a rep.

I have added the following:

Quote:<meta name="keywords" content="vampire counts, vampire, counts, warhammer, tactics, painting, discussion, modelling, modeling, story, stories, armies, army, list, armylist, pictures, picture, help, faq" />
<meta name="description" content="Carpe Noctem is an initiative to provide Warhammer Vampire Counts players with a platform from which they can learn about any aspect of the Warhammer hobby. From painting and pictures to modelling, from tactics and army lists to rules questions, from stories to role playing: you can find it all here!" />

If there is anything wrong with it, or anyone can suggest improvements for search engines to pick it up better I would love to hear them.
The keywords meta tag has been so abused that Google doesn't use it to determine Page Rank. As an example, you include both singular and plural forms of your keywords. Sometimes common misspellings are included in the keywords (I have a family history site with geneology and genealogy both listed as keywords). description is much more important.
Yes I have just read up on that today, hence I have amended my description to:

Carpe Noctem is the biggest Warhammer Vampire Counts forum on the net, if you are looking for tactics, army lists, advice, painting and modelling tips, and great stories you can find it here and more.

Is there anything else I can do to make the site more search friendly?