MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Post - AUTOSAVE functionality? for accidental BACK/FORWARD clicks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So, i just set up a new myBB, and i have to say, it is by far the best easiest to install, and nicest looking dashboard of any that i've been researching (well done community, well done!)

I just had one question for a function that would/could be really useful that happened to one of my first users almost instantly after installing.

I am using my board for creative project management (and it's secure so i can't share it due to Non-Disclosure Agreements w/ client stuff. yada yada yada...)

Upon the first posting , a user accidently closed their browser window on accident (CTRL+W) and lost his current post he was writing...

Was wondering if similar to how GMAIL functions, gmail auto-saves your draft (as well as OSX Mail can do ive noticed) incase something like this happens?

So if the user returns to login back into the forum, they can have a draft(s) option they can return to?

Please let me know if something like this already exists, I've searched these forums and google a bunch but have not found exactly what I was asking for...

Hi,

I don't believe that anybody has written a plugin for this though, however it's a good idea and hopefully someone picks it up; I'll move this to plugin requests for you.
(2010-08-25, 09:28 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I don't believe that anybody has written a plugin for this though, however it's a good idea and hopefully someone picks it up; I'll move this to plugin requests for you.

Good deal Matt, I think this would be a GREAT function to incorporate somehow into the forums, unfortunately, when jumping between browsers to link up multiple images/references for a post this can easily happen on accident, would be AWESOME if someone could easily implement something like this...

- Shawn
This is quite a good idea, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement, probably via using Ajax to store a draft in the db/in a cookie variable.
(2010-08-27, 12:45 PM)jlong1 Wrote: [ -> ]This is quite a good idea, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement, probably via using Ajax to store a draft in the db/in a cookie variable.

I'm quite surprised it hasn't been implemented yet, for the meantime, if you use Firefox browser, there is a great plugin named "Lazarus" that securely stores all web form data youv'e typed in for up to 24 hours until you clear it out... great incase of a power outage during a long write-up, accidental browser window close, or accidental forward or backward page navigation occurs...

Great plugin it seems.

Lazarus for Firefox - Form Recovery plugin

I've actually had a better idea - just using some Ajax to save the form as a draft using mybb's built in save draft option, it could save as a draft every x seconds/minutes. I might look into this tomorrow.
(2010-08-27, 10:44 PM)jlong1 Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually had a better idea - just using some Ajax to save the form as a draft using mybb's built in save draft option, it could save as a draft every x seconds/minutes. I might look into this tomorrow.

That's what I'm talking about! Let me know how it goes, i figured, these boards have been around so long, somebody's had to have thought of implementing that functionality at some point. would be Brilliant!

Okay, will do - I'll have a look tomorrow after I've finished a site for Tommyk.
(2010-08-27, 10:44 PM)jlong1 Wrote: [ -> ]I've actually had a better idea - just using some Ajax to save the form as a draft using mybb's built in save draft option, it could save as a draft every x seconds/minutes. I might look into this tomorrow.

First thing that came to my mind. However I always fear these ajax gimmicks because I can see how they can be easily abused to overload a server.
labrocca, I agree with the overloading - but it shouldn't be a problem for the OPs needs, as they have a private forum - for clients.
Pages: 1 2