MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Board Name in General Configuration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have to ask is there any significance of board name in general configuration in ACP for SEO, if I have already included a long meta name in headerinclude template with keywords and description.

Will google only read what I have Put in my ACP or will read the meta name description, I have a short name in ACP as my actual board name was very long and was looking awful considering a link which is attatched to it whenever you move to other pages on the forum, it was like 4 lines of characters, so I just put it short in ACP general configuration but put the actual one in meta name.

Is it good enough for seo and google or I need to put the long name in general configuration for the board name.

Thankyou
The board name is used in various places across the forum so it's best to keep it reasonably short. If you want the title of your index to be the long version for SEO purposes then you can add it to the title tag in the index template.

A long name isn't necessary. Try to change it to something that's searched a lot for on Google.
I'll give you an example, my domain is gfxforums, but I saw a few days ago that 'gfx forum' is searched for a lot more than 'gfx forums'. So, I changed the name of my board, and sure enough, we jumped 2 pages on Google.

Meta description will do nothing for SEO. It's the title and keywords you need to get right.
Yes, the index page title idea is good but its the same as changing from general configuration, My forum has 15 to 20 keywords and it has adult section, non adult section, webmasters section, artists section.
So if i will put these keywords in mata name, so irrespective of what I put in for board,s name in general Configuration, will google read the description in meta name or what I have in ACP?
(2010-08-29, 08:23 PM)james12 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the index page title idea is good but its the same as changing from general configuration

No it's not because changing it in general configuration changes it everywhere on the forum. Adding it to the title tag in the templates just affects that page.

For example my board name is set to "Pet Forums" which is used in many page titles and the breadcrumb, as well as other areas. But on the index the title shows "Pet Forums - Pet Owners Community" because I added "Pet Owners Community" to the title tag. I added it to the template because I only want that to show on the index and not other page titles, breadcrumb, etc.
Ok, but what about the links that it shows on the top section below header when you are in subforums, there it will show the long part as it was put in for board's name in general description.

Anyways I have included meta description of not more than 155 words and will see if google send visitors from that. will tell what happens after 15 days or so.