MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Should MyBB count as CMS or Social Network yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2010-09-01, 03:03 AM)JonathanP Wrote: [ -> ]MyNetwork has been released for a couple of weeks Dodgy

found it thanks
Social Networks Sites:
As I notice they're not more than a mere "user's profile hosting". They've based on user's profile and fuze those gallery, vdo, etc. Mostly are entertaining apps. If they don't have these apps what's left? [Image: slol0001.png]

Mynetwork is opposite they're with MyBB not alone. Isn't that a nice combo?

I would say:
- MyBB based on "forum" can grow to CMS or Social Network by mods & templates.
- Wordpress based on "blog systems" and start grow to CMS by mods & templates.
- Social Networks based on "usersprofile hosting" be with apps to be Social Networks.

If look around carefully these trios are born in different way to be cms by combine those apps/mods to be CMS but they cannot overcome their forums systems than MyBB. While MyBB just need only little homework of plugins, themes & templates. Even MyBB myblog won't overcome to wordpress but MyBlog is blog hosting for MyBB forum members.
MyBB is a system which manages content in the form of forums Big Grin

Whats a proper definition of a CMS???
To be honest if MyBB went to a social network platform as core, I'd move on to other forum software.
wordpress always was a CMS and so is any so called "blog software" as it is just a subgenre of CMS's, just a simplyfied & stripped one.

myBB's strongest core ability is still the discussion part, which makes and keeps myBB a bulletin-board.

what 3rd party plugins can make out of a(ny) software can't be taken into account.

out of wordpress you could make a forum and out off myBB you can build a full CMS just via plugins.
so you can't rely on plugins if you're going to discuss about what kind of genre a software fits.

also the word "social network" i can't hear it anymore, it's just a modern term about something wich exists since the 70's: shareing informations through the internet (however, the term social network is not strictly limited to take place on the internet).
any platform which allows discussion about "something" is in itself a social network.. ever since, and that includes myBB aswll as wordpress or any other platform that allows "commenting".
Pages: 1 2