MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is there a {$forum['description']} for forumdisplay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I'm trying to display the forum's description in the forum display templates for SEO purposes, but it doesn't work. {$forum['description']} is the array that's used in the forumbit, correct? Is there an equivalent for forumdisplay?

Which goes to another point I wanna make. Will MyBB 2.0 have more SEO-friendly templates? Anyways, I did do some edits to the default MyBB theme to hopefully make it more SEO-friendly, I'll post it soon.
If you have Google SEO installed then I don't see how this would benefit you, Google SEO already creates dynamic meta descriptions from the forum descriptions so you'd just be duplicating that.
Quote:Anyways, I did do some edits to the default MyBB theme to hopefully make it more SEO-friendly, I'll post it soon.

I don't recommend you share your SEO changes. It's going to help keep your site unique to search engines which is very important for SEO itself.
(2010-08-31, 04:30 PM)AJS Wrote: [ -> ]If you have Google SEO installed then I don't see how this would benefit you, Google SEO already creates dynamic meta descriptions from the forum descriptions so you'd just be duplicating that.

I do Alan. It's just

(2010-08-31, 05:52 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Anyways, I did do some edits to the default MyBB theme to hopefully make it more SEO-friendly, I'll post it soon.

I don't recommend you share your SEO changes. It's going to help keep your site unique to search engines which is very important for SEO itself.

Didn't think of that, but actually, I have two versions of the SEO, so I could actually share one of them (the other loosely resembles what vBSEO and IPB 3.1 does). I just threw in h1 and h2 tags in different places throughout the templates.
Sharing techniques isn't a bad idea but laying out steps to follow only lowers the uniqueness of your own SEO.
(2010-09-01, 12:48 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Sharing techniques isn't a bad idea but laying out steps to follow only lowers the uniqueness of your own SEO.

It's both, actually. I'm telling them what to do while letting them know why they're doing it, so at least they know what the hell they're doing.
Yep, I think that the seo nature of the mybb themes that I have found lacks a bit. Any SEO guru theme designers out there please PM me! Wink
I've basically had everything else but that. I've added h1, h2, h3, and p tags around my index, navigation, and such, but not this.

And Alan, I don't need meta descriptions, I need physical ones.