MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Meta tags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do i edit meta tags? So I can put what the search engines will read.
Add them to the headerinclude template.
Which is where... and how would I add them...? >.< Sorry cant think of where it would go and such.
The "headerinclude" template is in the "Ungrouped Templates" section.
TYVM But what code do I edit/add to get the meat in? And I have to add them to all the themes I use correct.
Use the following template to create your meta tags:

<meta name="description" content="Insert Site Description">
<meta name="keywords" content="Insert keywords, seperated by commas">

These two meta tags are the most basic and important tags used by most search engines. You can research more complicated tags if you wish (there are many good guides online). After adding your own site information in the tags, you can copy and paste it after the following line, to make it simple:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Script-Type" content="text/javascript" />

Yes, you would need to add the meta tags to each one of your template sets for different themes.
(2010-09-01, 05:31 AM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]Use the following template to create your meta tags:

These two meta tags are the most basic and important tags used by most search engines. You can research more complicated tags if you wish (there are many good guides online). After adding your own site information in the tags, you can copy and paste it after the following line, to make it simple:

Yes, you would need to add the meta tags to each one of your template sets for different themes.
So just use those two lines and put it after that code?
(2010-09-01, 05:53 AM)blake Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-01, 05:31 AM)Kodaks Wrote: [ -> ]Use the following template to create your meta tags:

So just use those two lines and put it after that code?
Yes, after you alter the description and keywords so that they match the content to your website.
Putting that in your headerinclude will give every page on your site the same keywords and description, the index, threads, forums, everything.

You'd be better using the Google SEO plugin which generates dynamic meta tags and descriptions for forums and threads and only using that code on your index and portal.

Also you only need it on your default theme, search engines aren't going to change the theme.
I'll Second AJS' suggestion. Having the same description for each page of your site probably won't help you in the search engine ranks.