MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Random Client Denied by Server Configuration Errors Apache2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It seems I have an on going issue that has plagued me ever since switching from phpBB3 to MyBB and that is the error:

[error] [client 76.177.45.17] client denied by server configuration: /var/www/mybb/memberlist.php, referer: 

What I do to throw this error is simply refresh my 2nd memberlist page several times in quick succession.

I've contacted support in both ##php and #httpd (apache) on Freenode for help and after much troubleshooting they determined it's an issue with MyBB itself and not with them saying it's a PHP coding problem with that particular page.

Has anyone had any issues with this before? We just cannot seem to solve this issue!
I've refreshed the page several times, nothing happens. People are always quick to blame the software, since it more likely is them at fault, note the "server configuration" part of the error.
(2010-09-01, 03:46 PM)Gaara Wrote: [ -> ]I've refreshed the page several times, nothing happens. People are always quick to blame the software, since it more likely is them at fault, note the "server configuration" part of the error.

I'm simply trying to resolve an issue I've had since migrating from phpBB3 to MyBB is all. I'm not out to make anyone look bad, just passing along the information I was given when we spent the better part of an entire day working on this between ##php and #httpd.

I try to offset a lot of the work for the dev's here by doing honest troubleshooting before I ask for help since I know they are pretty busy.

It's very odd that you're the only person I've heard from that doesn't have this issue (some 200+ people have tried and reported the exact same "Forbidden" error I get). Are you sure you are refreshing that page in quick succession?

Here's a link to the error in I get when simply refreshing that page 3 times.
Forbidden just means the file doesn't have the proper chmod permissions. Files should be 644/666 and directories should be 755.

When I meant that people are quick to blame the software, I didn't mean you! I meant that hosts try to always blame the software you're running and not their own servers. Smile
It happened for me, but this isn't anything we can do anything about, your server is choosing to block access, not MyBB. There's no throttling software or anything on your server to stop DDOS attacks or something??
(2010-09-01, 04:07 PM)Gaara Wrote: [ -> ]Forbidden just means the file doesn't have the proper chmod permissions. Files should be 644/666 and directories should be 755.

When I meant that people are quick to blame the software, I didn't mean you! I meant that hosts try to always blame the software you're running and not their own servers. Smile

Ok, I just wanted to be clear that I'm not taking sides hah Smile I double checked permissions on both files/directories and they all seem fine. (Files are 0644 and directories are 0755). I was directed to this article in the official Apache wiki but cannot find anywhere in my server configs where I am Denying access to the directory in which memberlist.php resides nor can I find anywhere where I may be denying access to *.php so I'm truly at a loss Sad

FYI I run the webserver via a dedicated box so it's not hosted by a hosting company Smile I have root access to all levels of it's functionality.
(2010-09-01, 04:14 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]It happened for me, but this isn't anything we can do anything about, your server is choosing to block access, not MyBB. There's no throttling software or anything on your server to stop DDOS attacks or something??

no, mod_security and mod_evasive where disabled (still are) while we were troubleshooting it. To be honest I just wanted to be 100% sure it wasn't an MyBB issue before pushing the issue further with the folks in #httpd (they tend to be a little stand-off'ish and matter of fact).

This is all I need, thanks!