MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Setting up a dev site. How do you do it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have my main site setup and working.

I dont want to work on things on the live site, instead I wish to setup a dev copy and work on that, then when all is fine, merge the two.

How do you do this effectively? How do you track the changes to the database on the dev so you can add them to the live site.

Also how do you make it so you dont have to change all the environment variables such as site URL each time?
Get a host with ROR and install Redmine.
Is this actually to do with MyBB?
What the heck does this have to do with MyBB?!?!
(2010-09-03, 11:02 AM)N.Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Get a host with ROR and install Redmine.

Will not be as easy as that but that's a start hehe
I know, I've installed it before. I was just telling him the general 'concept', so to speak.
I think he means setting up two versions of mybb and merging them keeping the correct "site URL" variables for the main copy Wink
Yes sorry have been very busy lately.

So yes it is to do with MyBB. Basically I want my main site and then a copy of my main site which I can test plugins and code changes and then if all works move over to the main site, but not have to repoint all the site url's and change the site config?

Some of you guys must do this otherwise how do you test new things for you myBB site? just roll them out on live site?
The way I'm sure most other people do it is if they're writing a plugin, that does all the template additions/edits and database changes so they can just install it on their live forum, or if they're making a theme, they make it on the dev site, export it and then import it to the live forum. I don't think anybody tries to 'merge' their dev and their live site every time they want to apply changes.
i created a subdomain and copied my database and files to it. Then tweaked the main setting to get it to work on the new subdomain and the start coding/testing.

i also have another domain I use for clean installs so I can test that what I am doing will work with both clean and dirty installations

When ready, I move it to my main domain.