MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Supermods and Banning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(2010-09-09, 03:25 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-09, 02:53 AM)Jammerx2 Wrote: [ -> ]That would be literally 1 line, but I still think it's better suited as a plugin.

Adding 500 "1 line" codes makes a lot for every tiny issues like these

If your Mods ban another mod, then warn him. Then remove him as mod if he continues.

Man, no way. Remove a mod immediately for crap like that. This type of leniency will only lead to problems.

(2010-09-09, 03:34 AM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-09, 03:25 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]Then remove him as mod if he continues.
Then he would be offended, and take bloody revenge Confused

Oh no! Someone on the internet is angry!

Who cares. Again, don't hire people like this.
I agree with Uncontrol, if they don't have enough common sense to know that they shouldn't ban other moderators they shouldn't be staff to begin with.
Soft Delete should simply be a core feature of myBB and everyone could decide whether or not certain groups can "hard delete" posts.

On topic... honestly I don't know, somewhere a line must be drawn. Super Moderator is the highest position in the hirarchy after admins. If you pick people you can't absolutely trust (as far as that's possible in the internet) it's your fault - if nontheless something happens because you never know who you talking to in the internet it's bad luck... but having that as an core feature doesn't seem necessary to me at all.
(2010-09-09, 09:52 PM)ray187 Wrote: [ -> ]Soft Delete should simply be a core feature of myBB and everyone could decide whether or not certain groups can "hard delete" posts.

I'm agree. Soft Delete is Vbulletin core feature, for example. Mods there can not "hard delete" posts. Only supermods and/or admins can do that.

(2010-09-09, 01:28 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Oh no! Someone on the internet is angry!

Did not you watch the movie "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back"? Big Grin

Quote:Who cares. Again, don't hire people like this.

Anything can happen. People just go crazy. Even if you believe in them. Or their account\computer may be cracked by a third party.
(2010-09-09, 10:22 PM)Maj Wrote: [ -> ]I'm agree. Soft Delete is Vbulletin core feature, for example. Mods there can not "hard delete" posts. Only supermods and/or admins can do that.

It's called Unapproving posts. Another example of vBulletin bloat - create two things that perform identical functions and name them differently.

Set it up so mods/super mods can only use the post approval feature instead of deleting. To revert you run a one-liner query. Simple enough.

Quote:Anything can happen. People just go crazy. Even if you believe in them. Or their account\computer may be cracked by a third party.

Seriously, who would try and crack a super mods account if they wanted to delete anything? It's much more effective to hijack an admin account or the entire server.

Besides that, MyBB has no known exploits other than idiots who use simple passwords (yes I consider these people idiots).

Y'all need to explore MyBB a bit more.
(2010-09-10, 12:30 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]It's called Unapproving posts.

Eh.... nah?

Soft Delete is not connectedto approving/unapproving posts in any way.

Quote:Y'all need to explore MyBB a bit more.

Y'all need to stop mixing up features and their respective use.
So you're trying to tell me that making a post invisible to non-moderators (but not actually deleted) and making posts invisible to non-moderators (also NOT actually deleted) are two COMPLETELY different things because they have different names?
Nope, soft delete goes way further than this. First off, you do not make the post invisible but a message displays containing the reason + moderator who's deleted the post. It has nothing to do with "hiding".

Soft deletion as such can be set individually per usergroup and forum section, additionally giving also authors the ability to soft delete their own threads/posts.

As a core feature every single plugin could use it as well (e.g. profile comments).

That's what I'm telling you.
(2010-09-10, 10:02 PM)ray187 Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, soft delete goes way further than this. First off, you do not make the post invisible but a message displays containing the reason + moderator who's deleted the post. It has nothing to do with "hiding".

So, then, where does the post go? Nowhere. It's removed from the public eye. The only difference between unapproving and soft deleting (in vBulletin) is that soft deleted posts are stored in a separate section. They essentially perform the same function, though I won't argue that soft deleting has more features although I personally feel it's just bloat anyways.

Quote:Soft deletion as such can be set individually per usergroup and forum section, additionally giving also authors the ability to soft delete their own threads/posts.

This is hardly a soft-delete specific thing. Post approval could easily be modified to include these settings. Again, imo, vBloat.

Quote:As a core feature every single plugin could use it as well (e.g. profile comments).

I'll say this yet again it's the same thing and simply adds overhead to already existing and working functions.
It isn't. Approving/Unapproving posts is a moderation tool. Soft deletion is not connected to any specific usergroup but a global permission to select/deselect.
The notification that displays, giving the reason and the person deleting the post is a very important aspect of soft delete.

Just because those two have some aspects in common - one isn't less worth than the other. There are many many features that cover up similar behavior as others do, still all of them exist.

I don't really get what your problem is.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6