MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What do you think of this offer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright so I created a Genesis A.D. fansite a few hours ago. And I posted a link on the official Genesis A.D. forums. Someone on there joined my forum (the guy seems like a legitimate fan of the game since he did participate in the closed beta test of the game and he has over 400 posts on the official game forums). The guy offered to host my forums on a paid server and get me a domain for free.

Obviously I told him no, since it, well, sounds too good to be true. He says he would even let me change the accounts on the paid server (thus denying him access and leaving me as the only admin), and that all he wants in return is the money revenue from the ads generated. Currently I'm using a free forum hosting company without a domain (ZetaBoards).

So, what do you think of this offer, I'm not sure if he's being legit or not. He claims that he is doing it for the ad money and because he wants to help the Genesis A.D. community (and my fansite is the first and only fansite for the game; excluding private clans). Also, I believe it would cost me money to transfer my forum from ZetaBoards to his paid host (ZetaBoards would charge a fee).

His offer on my forum: http://s4.zetaboards.com/Dark_Genesis/topic/8009645/

His offer on the official Genesis A.D. forums: http://forums.ijji.com/showthread.php?t=973152
Well, if you have the ONLY fansite, which I doubt but it may be so, then you have a niche.

Thus he knows you can make a LOT of money from ads from that. Thus he makes money from it. In this world, everybody is trying to screw you over. He wouldnt offer if he wasnt going to make something out of it.

is he the host owner? If so, then it is likely he could use rott access to access your site anytime he liked, even after a password change Sad
(2010-09-04, 08:55 PM)Tommyk Wrote: [ -> ]Well, if you have the ONLY fansite, which I doubt but it may be so, then you have a niche.

Thus he knows you can make a LOT of money from ads from that. Thus he makes money from it. In this world, everybody is trying to screw you over. He wouldnt offer if he wasnt going to make something out of it.

is he the host owner? If so, then it is likely he could use rott access to access your site anytime he liked, even after a password change Sad

Exactly. It sounds kinda like a scam. I mean, I could by my own hosting and domain.
I just made it so guests can read topics without having to create an account, so you can see his offer.
Quote:If your interested i can host a forums for you at no charge to you with a domain name along the lines of co.cc or something else and the forum software of your choice.

>.co.cc

Run.
(2010-09-04, 09:46 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:If your interested i can host a forums for you at no charge to you with a domain name along the lines of co.cc or something else and the forum software of your choice.

>.co.cc

Run.

True. RUN FROM CO.CC.
Buy a host. Buy a domain. Cost you 40 bucks, but you'll be good for how long?
(2010-09-05, 05:00 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Buy a host. Buy a domain. Cost you 40 bucks, but you'll be good for how long?

Just do that and if he still wishes to support you, make a deal he gets the revenue but pays those 40 bucks to you.
(2010-09-05, 07:47 AM)laeresh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-05, 05:00 AM)Mark.M Wrote: [ -> ]Buy a host. Buy a domain. Cost you 40 bucks, but you'll be good for how long?

Just do that and if he still wishes to support you, make a deal he gets the revenue but pays those 40 bucks to you.

This. Otherwise he basically owns your site and domain, so he could just take them from you at any time :s

Run for co.cc and if its becoming successfull go buy a real TLD Smile
(2010-09-05, 07:47 AM)laeresh Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh yes, because i'm gonna invest in someone the owner can, but just chooses not to? riiiight.