MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Users unable to edit posts. Permissions Issue.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I checked the forum and each of the users and their respective groups permissions yet here is what they are getting when they try to edit their posts.

Results:
Quick Edit Selection:
Cannot edit this post.

Full Editor Selection:
Redirected to a new page:
You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:
1.Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
2.You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
3.Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)
4.You have accessed this page directly rather than using appropriate forms or link.

You are currently logged in with the username: 'Wolfman'

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be because of one of the following reasons:
Your account has either been suspended or you have been banned from accessing this resource.
You do not have permission to access this page. Are you trying to access administrative pages or a resource that you shouldn't be? Check in the forum rules that you are allowed to perform this action.
Your account may still be awaiting activation or moderation. (Resend Activation Code)
You have accessed this page directly rather than using appropriate forms or link.

You are currently logged in with the username: 'surfingoz'

Cannot do a full edit, this is one of my admin's, but can do a quick edit. Any ideas, I checked permissions and it seems they are all set correctly.
If you're sure the permissions are right, what plugins do you have??
Thanks Matt, discovered something else. A user who was in the "Toilet Janitor" group which is denied editing or deleting was able to edit and erase the posting today.

Anyhow here is what is installed so far. All are activated for 1.6

Ajax PM Notification (1.8.1)
Banning Trash-Email Adresses (1.0)
Fit on Page (2.2)
Last Visitors in Profile (1.1)
Profile Jabber (0.1)
Resend Activation Code (3.0)
RSS Feed Icons (1.0.1)
Rules Page (2.0)
Stop forum spam (1.0)
Thanks (3.9)
Undo Delete (1.2)
Who Viewed Topic (1.0.1)

Realized undo delete was installed and active. Not sure if that will allow me to retrieve the edited posting.
(2010-09-08, 04:07 AM)slickdude Wrote: [ -> ]A user who was in the "Toilet Janitor" group which is denied editing or deleting was able to edit and erase the posting today.

Are they in any other groups?? If they are, and one of those groups has the ability to edit, they'll be able to edit.

In ./inc/init.php, after:

define("TIME_NOW", time());

add:

define("NO_PLUGINS", 1);

This will stop plugins being loaded at runtime, but won't deactivate them or remove them or anything. Do things work properly then??
(2010-09-08, 08:37 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-08, 04:07 AM)slickdude Wrote: [ -> ]A user who was in the "Toilet Janitor" group which is denied editing or deleting was able to edit and erase the posting today.

Are they in any other groups?? If they are, and one of those groups has the ability to edit, they'll be able to edit.

In ./inc/init.php, after:

define("TIME_NOW", time());

add:

define("NO_PLUGINS", 1);

This will stop plugins being loaded at runtime, but won't deactivate them or remove them or anything. Do things work properly then??

The Toilet Janitor Group was set up to be in between Banned and a regular user. So it allows reading of forums but no editing or deleting. Unfortunately the Undo Delete option was enabled but what he did was edit and delete save the topic post thus he didn't actually delete the post itself which was incidentally the first posting. This was a bad user who said he was going to post and discuss warez issues and he was told this was against board policy and could jeopardize the board, but he went ahead so we decided to knock his account down a notch and make sure he didn't do what he was going to carry out, besides harassing the other moderators etc. It's not just this user though.

It seems that if a user belongs to multiple groups they may have issues also doing a full edit, while a quick edit still can be performed. I had checked all permissions and that issue seemed to remain even though all permissions for Forum topic, group and individual users were set proper. I even tried optimizing the forums and also rebuilding caches and still the issues at hand remained.

Regular moderator also could not do a full edit it seemed. But a supermod was able to and or admin.

Will the disable plugins mean the features are no longer available in my forums once that coding is inserted?
Editing is editing, it should either be allowed or disallowed, not have quick edit work but full edit not.

Adding that code will simply stop plugins being loaded; as soon as you remove it, plugins will be back exactly as they were before. It's just a way of ruling out plugins as a cause.