MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some advice if you are going to buy a GFX card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Some CPUs and motherboards have built in GPUs Wink
The only game that couldn't be run very good on the HD3650 AGP was Metro 2033. No matter what clock it could not get higher than 8 fps.
>Some CPUs and motherboards have built in GPUs Wink

Built in means it's integrated. The Radeon HD 4200 is an integrated chip anyway you look at it and it's impossible to replace. It's all one name, for example my laptop has: AMD M860G with ATI Mobility Radeon 4100.

>The only game that couldn't be run very good on the HD3650 AGP was Metro 2033. No matter what clock it could not get higher than 8 fps.

Makes sense, Metro 2033 heavily uses DX11 features and and I doubt the 3650 has above DX9c. Also overall it's really an intense game, my Radeon HD 5770 can't get it to playable frames per second when the settings are maxed out @ 1280x1024.
Well, i tried it at the lowest settings possible and the result WAS 8fps.
Trying max means total freeze of system.

On my HD5850 with DX11 and tesselation on i barely get 20fps
(2010-09-11, 09:26 AM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]>This one technically has both -- AMD M880G (integrated) and Mobility Radeon HD 4200 (dedi).

What are you talking about? Radeon HD 4200 is an integrated chip. AMD M880G is the motherboard's chipset.

>Not necessarily, some laptops may be designed to accommodate dedicated cards but simply don't include the card, not that this is very common though still possible.

I was assuming he didn't buy a barebones laptop.

I did meet a man who bought an old Acer and had put in a newer card in it.
>I did meet a man who bought an old Acer and had put in a newer card in it.

Ok, but that's irrelevant since his old Acer I guarantee had a dedicated card.

@dikidera

What resolution are you playing at?
On my HD5850 i play at 1080p, but on the old pc even at 800x600 i still had 8fps(max)
(2010-09-12, 09:09 AM)Anman Wrote: [ -> ]>I did meet a man who bought an old Acer and had put in a newer card in it.

Ok, but that's irrelevant since his old Acer I guarantee had a dedicated card.

@dikidera

What resolution are you playing at?

Rather unlikely, because older laptops almost never do.
Nope it was dedicated. He opened it up and showed me the card at the time, to show me the difference.
>Rather unlikely, because older laptops almost never do.

What? Dedicated cards in laptops have been out for over 8 years.
Pages: 1 2 3 4