MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Feature Request: NoFollow and Multi File Uploader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I would like to suggest two features to be added to this otherwise slick script. I believe these are fair requests to allow the script to keep up with modern demands. The features requested are as follows:

NoFollow Tag for External Links

I would like to see an option for an admin to choose whether he/she wants to have all external links tagged with the rel="nofollow" tag. It would be nice to have five options there:

1 - Don't add nofollow
2 - Add nofollow to all links
3 - Add nofollow to all external links, except from home URLs (when linking another thread of the same forum)
4 - Add nofollow to all external links, except from home URLs and whitelisted URLs (admin could add URLs of friendly sites that he/she doesn't mind sending SE juice to)
5 - Add nofollow to all links in signatures

Multi File Attachment Uploader

Users of my board share a lot of pictures and it is a major pain to have to painfully add one attachment after another. If you have 20+ images you'd like to add to the post, it becomes a major nightmare. I'd welcome the kind of flash type (or ajax, or whatever can be made) uploader foe example something similar to what's been available in WP for a while - allowing a user to select several files and have them all uploaded with a single click, instead of painfully doing one after another individually.

I'm not trying to be a smart lime, just adding my two cents with suggestions which I believe would make the script more sophisticated and up to date with modern demands. What do you guys think?
Hmm, interesting ideas. I think that as a core, a simple on/off switch for "nofollow" in posts and signatures would suffice. After that, its more plugin territory.

I do agree that the attachment system needs a revamp for easier usability. Having to reload the pages for every attachment is an awful pain. I suggest the ability to add more boxes via AJAX (just like in cPanel).
+1 for multiple uploads Smile
(2010-09-08, 10:46 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm, interesting ideas. I think that as a core, a simple on/off switch for "nofollow" in posts and signatures would suffice. After that, its more plugin territory.

I didn't mean to sound too demanding and what you are saying would certainly more than suffice. Having more control over nofollow tags would be a bonus, but even just the ability to nofollow all the links with a simple switch in AP would be fabulous.
It would be nice if each user could manage their attachments in a manager sort of like ImgUr (or Photobucket or whatever you use)
I don't know about nofollow - this is the main factors that drives SEO (for sites other than yours of course). If every single MyBB forum out there had nofollow enabled that would kick SEO in the pants (unless I'm horribly mistaken).

@Brad - Do you mean like this or a more robust system?
(2010-09-10, 12:40 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know about nofollow - this is the main factors that drives SEO (for sites other than yours of course). If every single MyBB forum out there had nofollow enabled that would kick SEO in the pants (unless I'm horribly mistaken).

That's why this would be a feature, not hard coded. Nofollow has pluses and minuses - while it does get rid of some of the motivation to post, it does help cut lower the motivation to spam as well, and can bring higher quality posts.
(2010-09-10, 12:42 AM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]while it does get rid of some of the motivation to post, it does help cut lower the motivation to spam as well, and can bring higher quality posts.

That's exactly the point - unless your forum targets the SEO niche, chances are good your members not only don't give a poop about dofollow, they probably don't even know what it is. But by having all outgoing links dofollowed, an issue with spammers becomes overwhelming and far outweighs potential drawbacks of low motivation (even for forums aimed at tech savvy members). If you only have people posting because your forum has dofollow links, then I don't think you're facing a major loss. But to be able to take one of the main motivators for spammers away - whoa....
(2010-09-10, 12:40 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]@Brad - Do you mean like this or a more robust system?

Haha, I did not even know this was there. It could use some improvement, though ...
HTML5 introduces standards with the ability to handle multiple asynchronous file uploads through the use of ajax technologies. I figure we will implement this for MyBB 2.0.
Pages: 1 2