MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Possible bug: Private messaging not allowed if user disables PM after sending a PM.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a super moderator/admin, I should be able to ignore all settings on a user's account - including Private Messaging settings. I received a PM last night from a user who then appears to have disabled PM in their account. I wrote a nice long reply and the system rejected the PM by kindly letting me know that Private Messaging was disabled for that user. Users should be able to reply to ANY PM in their own personal queue regardless of PM settings on the target account. Either that or at least figure out that PM settings are disabled on the target user account(s) of a reply BEFORE people write long messages.

Fortunately, in my case, I can grab the e-mail address and just e-mail the individual directly.

Edit: I appear to have left the browser tab open. I clicked back this morning after looking at their account and realized that the person appeared to have re-enabled the PM settings on their account. So I hit reload. A new button for sending a PM appeared on the PM they sent to me. If replies to a PM are not going to be possible, hiding the "Reply" button might be a good idea. Kind of tacky though to only be able to receive PMs and not reply.
I agree 100%. There should be a per-group setting for 'Allow users to override users ignoring PMs?'
(2010-09-10, 12:37 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree 100%. There should be a per-group setting for 'Allow users to override users ignoring PMs?'

No, there shouldn't. However I do agree that Admins at least, and probably Mods as well, should be able to PM a user regardless of their PM receipt settings.
Why not? You don't have to enable it for all groups. There can be cases where you have moderators not in the Mod group and thus they couldn't inherit the permission otherwise.
(2010-09-10, 12:44 AM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-10, 12:37 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree 100%. There should be a per-group setting for 'Allow users to override users ignoring PMs?'

No, there shouldn't. However I do agree that Admins at least, and probably Mods as well, should be able to PM a user regardless of their PM receipt settings.

Umm, it's basically the same though... I mean the only difference from what you're saying and Scoutie is saying is that it's up to the admin. Who knows maybe they have multiple staff groups (like mybb with Management, Developers, Support..) and you want all of them to be able to pm members.
(2010-09-10, 01:54 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]
(2010-09-10, 12:44 AM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]

Umm, it's basically the same though... I mean the only difference from what you're saying and Scoutie is saying is that it's up to the admin. Who knows maybe they have multiple staff groups (like mybb with Management, Developers, Support..) and you want all of them to be able to pm members.

I don't do it that way Wink
I'm not sure how MyBB has our Staff groups set up, I think its just a display group with either Mod, SuperMod, or Admin set as an additional group. I just don't know for sure, but thats how I do it. Regardless, at the bare minimum the admins should be able to without any special "group" permission. I'm not against having the permission, though it could be annoying to have to remember to set it for every staff group created. This why I personally think a check to see if they can ModCP or AdminCP is easier... and how I just implemented it on my personal board. I may pluginize this if there is enough interest. Unless of course Ryan thinks its worth implementing into the core code.
(2010-09-10, 12:44 AM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]No, there shouldn't. However I do agree that Admins at least, and probably Mods as well, should be able to PM a user regardless of their PM receipt settings.
(2010-09-10, 02:45 AM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]Regardless, at the bare minimum the admins should be able to without any special "group" permission. I'm not against having the permission, though it could be annoying to have to remember to set it for every staff group created. This why I personally think a check to see if they can ModCP or AdminCP is easier...
I really think the ModCP is too powerful for now. If more powers are to be added in it, admins should be able to control it fully.

Else, there would come a time where MyBB's mods would have the same powers as admins have (maybe they could create forums from modCP?) Toungue

(2010-09-10, 03:54 AM)Nayar Wrote: [ -> ]I really think the ModCP is too powerful for now. If more powers are to be added in it, admins should be able to control it fully.

Else, there would come a time where MyBB's mods would have the same powers as admins have (maybe they could create forums from modCP?) Toungue

Do you really think moderators shouldn't be able to send PMs to anyone? Regardless, its being discussed now among the staff and if it gets implemented in any way, I'm sure there will be more than just a few moments thought about it.

Also, as an aside, one of my plugins does allow SuperMods who are assigned to categories to create forums inside that Cat Toungue