MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Making the forum private
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am in the process of making my forum only available to users who know the password, however I need to know a few things.

I want to make the forum invisible to search engines such as Google. How would I go about doing this? I'm guessing one of the things would be to editing the robots.txt file to stop bots from indexing the website.

Are there any other things I can do? I don't want anyone coming to the forum by finding it on Google.

Can I also ask Google not to list the forum's domain? If so where would I do that?

Are there any other suggestions that you have in order for me to keep the forum private?

Thanks
User-agent: *
Disallow /
Thanks, I have done that.

I am also trying to password protect the forum. I have set a password for the category that all the forums come under. When I select anything in that category, it asks for a password and once entered it loads up the forums inside that category.

However when I try to select any of the forums, it again asks for the password and once completed it loads up the list of forums again, not the forum which I tried to access.

Any idea as to why this is happening?

Thanks
Try putting the password for each forum, not the categories.

(2010-09-08, 03:11 PM)Kesava Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing one of the things would be to editing the robots.txt file to stop bots from indexing the website.

And keep in mind, that the robot.txt settings are just a kind of policy.
The search engines are not committed to consider them, even if the most do it.
(2010-09-08, 04:39 PM)N.Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Try putting the password for each forum, not the categories.

The same thing happened for forums. I am able to have it working by password protecting the subforums. As the posts are only in the subforums and not the forums.

But if I ever want to have posts in the forums then I don't know what I will do.

If I am in a password protected forum and I selected a password protected subforum, it asks for the password and when I enter it, it redirects back to the forum, not to the subforum that I requested.

Anyway this will do for now. Thanks

How do I stop forums from inheriting permissions? This is the forum structure:

Category-Forum-Subforum

Now there will be no posts in the category or forum. Only in the subforum and the subforum is password protected.

However the only way I can see to set the permissions properly is to set the Category permissions to stop anyone from doing anything other than view, which will be inherited by the forum and subforum, and then change the subforum permissions to let everyone post.

That way no one has any access to other areas apart from the subforum. However this is a lot of effort and would be made easier if:

1. I could password protect the entire category, without having the trouble I mentioned earlier.
or
2. Stop subforums from inheriting permissions from their parent forums and categories so it isn't so hard to edit all the permissions.