MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 2TB WD My Book questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I went out and bought a 2TB WD (Western Digital) My Book Essential external hard drive (from Wal Mart); the guy at the "tech desk" said that we can use it on multiple computers as long as it is plugged in to one; but I'd rather not have to sit and wait for it to back up all 50+GB of my files, and ~20GB from my Dad's laptop. So far, backing up one computer works perfectly fine (my laptop).

What I'm wondering is has anyone had any luck backing up multiple computers onto one external My Book drive? Also, can you leave the drive plugged in to one computer (for example, my laptop - running Vista) and access it and back up my Dad's laptop (which runs Window 7)? If you back up multiple computers on to one drive, will any of the files mix in with each other?

Also, I know that the drive will work on both Windows 7 and Vista, but I'm wondering if I can access the external drive from my Dad's laptop without it being plugged in, but having it plugged into mine (basically is it accessible over our network?) Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. Yes, I have searched Western Digital's forums and only found this, which was unanswered and posted about 7 months ago.
I've done it. But not with western digital, or for that matter its software. I've always used a real backup program to back up. If i remember i set it up with handy backup, and it was all in a workgroup. Not sure if the western digital units can do that.

Try another software.
Well me and my Dad figured we would try WD for now, since it was the only 2TB/1TB model they had (go figure). But I know you can do C2C (Computer 2 Computer) transfers of multiple computers, but this is my first experience with using an actual backup utility (the software that came with the drive). I'll keep looking, but if anyone finds something - please let me know in this thread! - Thanks Smile

And as far as other software, do you have any recommendations?
Sorry i can't help. I always use an enclosure and Cavier black two terabyte.
Dang, alright. Thanks for replying anyways, I appreciate it Smile
Western Digital from what i've heard are very good. Even i have one 640GB WD Blue Caviar
(2010-09-08, 10:22 PM)dikidera Wrote: [ -> ]Western Digital from what i've heard are very good. Even i have one 640GB WD Blue Caviar

I've heard Western Digital as a brand is a good brand that doesn't make crappy products. I like the product so far, but I'd love it more if I could figure out if you can back up multiple computers on to one drive without it crossing any of the files, or messing up either of the backups.
Create an image maybe?
Well the thing about my laptop, is I only need back-ups of my website that I have on it, photos, videos, and music - and some other stuff. But My Dad would prefer to have both of his laptops backed up. My end isn't so much of a problem, it's just having it so he can just back up his laptop, and we're both good. I haven't found a way to do this with any of WD's software.

I think we're just going to end up buying a 2TB hard drive (a normal one, like you'd have in a desktop), and putting in an external "bay" or reader; and then just dragging and dropping the files. This way, we can create our own folders, and we know what all is being backed up.
Is there a machine that is on twenty four seven?
Pages: 1 2