MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SPAM Bot Registrations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was getting hit with the same ones with the same names. Possible I just got lucky and will gte hit again but banning users below a certain time frame / post count from having a signature mixed with wildcard ip banning has resolved the issue and so far no complaints from real users
(2010-09-11, 10:37 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I do apologise, I misread it Smile

Don't worry about it Smile It happens all the time heh
To prevent those bot registrations (I've had them, too, on an almost unknown forum ...) I developped a plugin which uses scrambled javascript that fills a form field with a value, and if this form field is not filled with the right value the registration process is cancelled.

http://mods.mybb.com/view/javascript-bot-protection

If you have any suggestions on that, you may leave me a pm or post in the plugin thread.
Hope this helps some of you =)
HAving same problem, as i start my forum, 30 days before..!!
And Now:
adolfonder
Alalserce
Akira
AlexDikersonS
albertoipolh
AlexHellooooween
Amurova
Amideptestysleputt
AnnyShmanny
andrewbalak .. This posts and i've banned it
ArnoldVegas .. This also
Asik
BetterPartyForYou
ecodiadiend
Dahliailk
gloriacoopertp
hanktmg
imgoingcrazy104
jookalistka
jornalistka
Kirbyishpk
LWSupportNY
Lenoneasy
MasterXblaster
mrErickDonald
Needdypew
nofbiaxia
notelatuurii
rajagerev
TramSupportLSAT
TramadolSupportNow
Zehelhela
Zehelhels

All those..!!
I didnot do any thing with those which didnot posts, if any one posts in forums, then i ban them..!!
What should I do with all those?? Should ban then Also??
Yes.. it's bots and all of them just wait for their time. When you'll forget about them, they will begin their work. Ban them all. We need a plugin for better protection ... from auto-registration.
Hey guys, my name is Isabel and I posted in one of these earlier, but I just happened to see this one as well while updating one of my posts here so I decided to stop in and say something.

I use SMF *ducks and hides behind the hail of thrown rocks and flying spit particles*
... and today we had three (3) of these spam thingies register on our forum. And that is with SMF not myBB. And the weird thing is my forum is new and still in progress. There's only like 7 members right now so I'm not even sure how they found us.

Anyway, I saw no action from these spammer thingies. I sent one a PM, and my group leader sent another one a warning. After a few hours, we decided just to ban all three of them to be safe. They never posted on our forum, what they did was update their signature fields with various and stupid websites such as free laptops and various thyroid problems ... seriously.

I heard they were human beings and thus they can get past any filter you throw at them. I don't know exactly. I set up my forum to Medium level Captha and answer verification to some custom questions I made like, "The wheels on the bus go?" <--- My own fun.

But basically, there isn't a great big loophole that is missing from myBB. Though I admit their spam protection isn't as great as I thought it could be while testing it, there's no gapping hole. This is happening across the board on all forum software.
Isabel, just close profile pages from guests (in ACP), and this must help to prevent registrations just to add urls in profile pages for SEO reasons. Also - close signatures and outgoing links. If you'll do it - most of spammers will ignore your forum.
Pages: 1 2 3